I love the Psalms. They are a source of comfort for me when I need to hear from God. But, without a doubt, my favorite is Psalms 139.O Lord, you have searched me and you know me. You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar (that, sometimes, is a scary thought). You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways. Before a word is on my tongue you know it completely, O Lord (helps me realize that I should think before I sepak). You hem me in — behind and before; you have laid your hand upon me (comforting). Such knowledge is too wonderful for me, too lofty for me to attain (so true).
Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, "Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me," even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you (I can't get away from You even if I tried).
For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made (some days I don't feel that way and I need You to remind me); your works are wonderful, I know that full well. My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be (one day left or a thousand, help me to live each day to the fullest). How precious to me are your thoughts, O God (yes)! How vast is the sum of them! Were I to count them, they would outnumber the grains of sand. When I awake, I am still with you. If only you would slay the wicked, O God! Away from me, you bloodthirsty men! They speak of you with evil intent; your adversaries misuse your name. Do I not hate those who hate you, O Lord, and abhor those who rise up against you? I have nothing but hatred for them; I count them my enemies.
Search me, O God, and know my heart (sometimes I fear what's in my heart); test me and know my anxious (some days very anxious) thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me (probably every day), and lead me in the way everlasting (please).
God's blessings on you today.
Today is November 9 and if today is your Birthday then you share your day with: Nick Lachey (singer, married Jessica Simpson), Lou Ferrigno (actor, "The Incredible Hulk"), Tom Fogerty (guitarist, "Creedence Clearwater Revival"), Mary Travers (singer, "Peter, Paul & Mary"), Carl Sagan (author, "Cosmos"), Spiro Agnew (Vice-President to Richard Nixon), and Hedy Lamarr (actress).
On this day in 1620 the Mayflower sighted land at Cape Cod, Mass. In 1857 the Atlantic Monthly magazine made its first appearance. In 1935 the union CIO was formed and the Japanese army invaded Shanghai, China. In 1938 the Nazis looted and burned Jewish homes and stores in the Kirstallnacht ("the night of the broken glass"). In 1967 the first issue of "Rolling Stone" was published. In 1989 East Germany opened its borders to West Germany. And in 1995 catoonist Bill Watterson announced the end of "Calvin and Hobbes" (truly a dark, dark day).
4 comments:
Thanks Dan. I feel very sad today. My friend whose son died, is so very sad, and it shrouds me too. And yet like this psalm says ...even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you...
Peace- Tj
Lovely both TJ and Dan. TJ, I am so sad for you and your friend.
That is one heck of a Psalm! I'm with you, Dan--scary and wonderful at the same time.
Happy day to you guys.
Thank you for sharing this, including your own quotes, too.
~Lisa
Dan, there is no place for me to comment on your horse video?!!! What is up? Did you get tired of hearing my ramblings? love ya
Post a Comment