Wednesday, December 24, 2008

The Night Before

I was so tired and excited I couldn't sleep.

I don't think I have had a good night's sleep since the angel visited and gave me the incredible news about the Holy Spirit coming upon me and I would be with child. My mind just keeps whirling around and around over his words. And, I have had many experiences since - some joyful and some not.

I'll never forget Joseph's face when I told him the news. I know he wanted to believe, but his reason was telling him to run away. His family and friends would never understand. Fortunately, he had the courage to listen to the angel of God who visited him. He has never questioned me since.

I still thrill when I remember visiting my cousin Elizabeth and her testimony that her child lept in her womb as we approached.

I still tremble when I remember hearing the news that the Emperor had ordered that everyone go to the city of their ancestry to register for the census. I knew instantly that meant that Joseph and I would have to make the long, difficult journey to Bethlehem. I was already far along in my pregnancy and the journey was very, very hard. Joseph made it more bearable through his calm, loving words that would calm my spirit and his strong, carpenter hands massaged my tired and weary muscles after each long day of travel.

A few hours ago we finally arrived in Bethlehem. There were people and animals everywhere as more and more people came into the city to register for the census. Babies and children were crying and animals were bawling - both from tiredness and hunger. Angry voices carried back and forth as tired travelers jostled to find a place to settle for the night.

I don't know what bothered me more - the start of my labor pains or the many times we were turned away from a place to stay. Yet, my Joseph never raised his voice in anger even though I could tell from his face that he was getting very concerned. Even though he was a man, unexperienced in the signs of child birth, he somehow knew that I was getting closer to my time.

At the last place, even though he was full and told us he had no room in his inn, the innkeeper took pity on us and showed us a stable where we could spend the night. It's not much more than a small cave in the side of a hill. It was filled with old grass hay and several donkeys and sheep were still grazing there when we arrived. Joseph gently shooed them outside and took on the dirty job of cleaning soiled hay and manure from our home from the night. As mean as it was, it looked like Herod's palace to my tired mind and body - at least what I imagined Herod's palace might be as I would never see it.

Finally, Joseph tenderly walked me in and helped me down on some relatively clean hay. It felt like a Queen's bed. As I lay there going back and forth from rest to pain, Joseph found a worn and very used manger and cleared it of old, musty hay and cobwebs. He filled it with clean hay and glanced at me with an anxious look on his tired face. I smiled back at him to let him know that it would be perfect for our new born son when he finally comes.

Joseph laid down at my side, gently touched my forehead with his rough, calloused finger tips and, with a deep sigh, closed his eyes and went quickly to sleep. He is so tired.

As his breathing deepened I looked back at the entrance of our stable home and noticed the bright eyes of the donkeys and sheep as they gazed in upon us as they munched their hay. Their bodies were ablaze from the light of the bright star that had followed us all the way from Nazareth. As they watched they seemed to be waiting for something. They were alert, but not scared. Curious.

Ohhhhh, that pain was so much worse and it has come quicker than before.

I hate to do it, but I have to wake my tired husband. "Joseph, wake up. I think it's time..."

(Continued on Christmas morning)

2 comments:

Keri said...

I'm holding my breath.....

Fantastyk Voyager said...

What a novel way to remember what Christmas is really all about!! Thanks.