Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Where Did Today Go?

It's 3:33 PM in the afternoon and I'm not sure where today went. And, I'm not sure what I have done all day - really not much. I went out this morning and bought some new work gloves - my old ones are worn out with holes in the fingers and that's not good when your gloves get wet on a cold morning as I change the horses' water. I also bought them a new salt block.

Other than that I'm not sure what I did today.

Betty and her friend Molly went out to do some shopping and Betty has a small group tonight that she leads.

Where did today go?


Today is February 18 and if today is your Birthday then you share your day with: Molly Ringwald (actress, "Breakfast Club"), Matt Dillon (actor, "There's Something About Mary"), Vanna White (not sure - letter turner?), John Travolta (actor, "Wild Hogs"), Cybill Shepherd (actress, "Moonlighting"), Yoko Ono (????), Gahan Wilson (magazine cartoonist), George Kennedy (actor, "Cool Hand Luke"), Helen Gurley Brown (magazine editor), Jack Palance (actor, Curly in "City Slickers"), Sholem Aleichen (author, "Fiddler on the Roof"), and Louis Comfort Tiffany (jeweler, founder of Tiffany's).
On this day in 1678 John Bunyan's "The Pilgrim's Progress" is published. In 1841 the first continuous filibuster in the U.S. Senate began this day. It lasted until March 11th. In 1861 Jefferson Davis was sworn in as president of the Confederate States of America in Montgomery, Alabama. In 1885 Mark Twain's "Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" was published in the US for the first time. In 1908 U.S. postage stamps were sold for the first time. The cost was one cent. In 1930 Pluto, the 'former' outermost planet of the solar system, was discovered by astronomer Clyde Tombaugh. In 1945 U.S. Marines storm ashore at Iwo Jima. And in 1953 Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz signed a contract worth $8,000,000 to continue the "I Love Lucy" TV show through 1955. The deal was the richest contract in television at the time (that was BIG money in those days).

4 comments:

Keri said...

I heard that porcupines like salt???
Do you have to raise it off the ground?

Dan and Betty said...

Nope, where we live there are no trees and no porcupines. We might get a rabbit or bird, but that's about it.

Fantastyk Voyager said...

Some days are like that!

Most days, I don't get my 'list' finished.

The Wades said...

In response to Val's comment--most days I don't even start a list! Maybe that's my problem.

New gloves are a true pleasure. I held a pair of my friend Holly's--I almost wanted to cry they were so soft and perfect!