
No, not this kind of miracle.
When Herod saw Jesus, he was greatly pleased, because for a long time he had been wanting to see him. From what he had heard about him, he hoped to see him perform some miracle. (Luke 23:8-9)
The Greek for miracle is 'semeion' which means 'an indication.' This same word can also be translated 'sign' or 'wonder.'
"Unless you people see miraculous signs and wonders," Jesus told him, "you will never believe." (John 4:48)
We use the term miracle when something unexpected happens. When the US Hockey Team beat Russia for the 1980 Olympic gold medal, it was declared to be a miracle. I've heard people say, "It's a miracle that I'm still alive," or "If my son makes it to manhood it will be a miracle."
God's miracles are of a different nature and for a different purpose. God intervenes in the natural order of things to make himself known -- to make himself real.
After going to church for 12 years, I was beginning to realize that God wanted more of me than just sitting in a pew in church. He wanted a personal relationship with me so he could use me for his purposes. For someone who was raised and educated with the idea that we can and should control our own destiny, this was creating a struggle within me. I didn't want to let go of the control I thought I had over my life.
About this time Betty and I went to a weekend retreat focused on the idea of a basic Christian renewal. This was in April, 1984 and we had been married for 17 years. For all of our married life, Betty had endured regular migraine headaches -- the kind where she was in bed for two days with the shades drawn and sick to her stomach. They occurred about every six to eight weeks. These migraines were often triggered by stress -- even good stress. On Saturday night of the renewal weekend, we were worried that Betty might develop a migraine from the stress of the weekend.
A healing service was scheduled for that night and Betty went up to ask for prayer for her migraines. The person praying for her couldn't understand her request because of some background music, so Betty just said, "Pray for whatever God thinks I need."
The next day she woke up without a headache. Six months later she still had no migraines. Now, 25 years later she is still migraine free. She has normal headaches like we all do, but she has not had a migraine in all this time.
Miracle? I think so. Why did God do it? I believe he healed Betty of migraines for two main reasons. First, to make himself real to Betty to deepen her faith and, second, to make himself real to me to give me faith. Shortly after this happened, I asked God to take over control of my life.
This miracle was an indication that God is real. It was a sign that he wanted a relationship with me, and it was, and still is, a wonder in our lives.
Now, if the Chicago Cubs could win the world series this year that would be a real miracle!
2 comments:
Wow!
~whatever God thinks I need~
Pretty cool!
Praise the Lord! I'm so glad that Betty is migraine free. They are horrible. I've had a few over the years. Usually when I over-do myself, and don't eat or drink enough.
Thank you God for miracles!
~Lisa
Post a Comment