Saturday, February 20, 2010

Saturday Prayer – Lent

lent This past Wednesday was Ash Wednesday, the entrance into a 40 day preparation for the Celebration of Easter.  This 40 day period is called Lent or the Lenten Season.

In the early church this was a time of preparation for new believers who would be baptized on the Saturday before Easter.

For many Lent is a time of discipline, a time of withdrawal from something in their lives that gives them pleasure.  Lent can also be a time of drawing to – drawing closer to the source of life, Jesus Christ.

A Prayer for Lent

Heavenly Father, I am called to walk by the light of Christ, your Son, and to trust in his wisdom.

During Lent, I submit my self to him more and more and am striving to believe in him with all my heart.

I enter on this path of repentance so that in dying to self I might rise to new life.

Lord Jesus, you spoke peace to a sinful world and brought mankind the gift of reconciliation by the suffering and death you endured. I love you and joyfully bear the name Christian.

Teach me to follow your example. Increase my faith, hope and charity so that I may struggle to turn hatred to love and conflict to peace.

Loving Redeemer through your passion, teach me self-denial, strengthen me against evil and adversity and so make me ready to celebrate your Resurrection.

Healer of body and soul, cure the sickness in my spirit so that I may grow in holiness through your constant care.

Forgive my sins against the unity of your family; make me love as you loved me.

Good Master, make me mindful of the dignity you gave me in Baptism, may I live for you at every moment.

Give me a perfect heart to receive your work, that I may bring forth fruit in patience.

2 comments:

TjandMark said...

Ahh, thanks. A good prayer.

Pray for us tomorrow and for the Holy Spirit to join together Eric and Jo in marriage as well as our families.

Keri said...

Beautiful Prayer~
For this first Sunday in Lent we had a surprise at Mass this morning! We were officiated by Archbishop Michael Jarboe Sheehan! It was very nice. Happy Sunday to you.