Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Hope N’ Change

No, this isn’t a post about politics.

Betty and I decided to swap horses.  As we get older and more aware of our limitations, Betty decided that Morgunn, being shorter, would be a better horse for her.  As we get older, Sugar seems to get taller.

Since Sugar is younger, I’m looking forward to working with her.  She’s a good horse now with all the work Betty has done with her, but her youth shows up every once in a while.

So we both win with this change.

We’ve been doing ground work with them to get the winter cobwebs out of their minds and bones.  Here’s some pictures from Betty’s work yesterday with Morgunn.

DSCN0030_640x480
DSCN0031_640x480DSCN0033_640x480
On her first try asking Morgunn to walk across the bridge, Betty did better than I ever did with him.  She got his two front feet up on the bridge with no problems.  He walked off with the hind feet when asked to go forward which is what always happened with me. 
DSCN0034_640x480 My bet is she will eventually get him to walk all the way across which I could never do.

8 comments:

The Wades said...

I'm not taking that bet. I bet the same thing. Sounds like a very logical change. Knowing you two, you'll make it work.

Keri said...

Sounds like a great trade! :) So happy that it worked out so perfect.

Keri said...

Sounds like a great trade! :) So happy that it worked out so perfect.

TjandMark said...

Flexibility to change, That is one thing that can make marriage wonderful. About 6 months ago, Mark and I switched dogs. Well, actually the dogs switched us. LOL. One day, Kate just started being my dog. I was alpha and she wanted my dierection (up to this point I had wanted to kill her. JK... sort of)and Smokey started ignoring me and began shadowing Mark. I have to admit I felt jilted. I rescued Smokey and he had been my faithful companion for almost 5 years. I have no idea why they did this. But they did, so we adjusted. Now, Mark has the good dog that everyone loves and I have the nut case. But she is getting better day by day. And of course I love her.

Fantastyk Voyager said...

Sounds like a good plan. I think you will both be very happy with your new mounts. They're both such great horses.

TjandMark said...

Ok. Now I am embarrassed. Why did I rattle on and on last night? LOL

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Betty is a horse whisperer! hehe!

Do you guys also ride across the bridge, too?

You ought to consider signing up for April 10th American Competitive Trail Horse Ride out here.

I'm signed up as a Buddy Rider, which is basically just a rider joining the ride to experience the trail. I don't have to do any of the challenges, nor do I get judged.

There are also Open and Pleasre Divisions, too. The trail is just 6miles and lasts about 2-2 1/2 hours.
And the money made from the ride goes to help Walkin N Circles Ranch Horse Rescue.

It's not too late to sign up. Just look up: ACTHA

And click on the 'Wild Bunch Meets Hole in the Wall Gang Ride'

I hope to see you there!


~Lisa

daniel cooksey said...

I'm still having trouble wrapping my mind around this idea, but have no doubt it is for the best.