Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Cover Up

Just before we left for Hawaii, we decided to finally order a new cover for our hot tub.

DSCN0359_640x480

We really enjoy our hot tub all year – especially on a cold, clear winter night.  We get in and watch all the stars.  However, our cover has seen better days.

DSCN0357_640x480

You can only do so much with duct tape.

We picked up our new cover today and planned to put it on the tub later this afternoon.

DSCN0358_640x480

As we went out to put on the new cover, I saw something in the water.  At first I thought a bird had somehow gotten into the water.  We have a lot of birds at our bird feeders which are pretty close to the hot tub.

However, it turned out not to be a bird… it was an antelope squirrel that was frantically swimming around.  It looked like he had been in there for awhile as he looked pretty tired.  I used the skimmer to get him out.  He was very water-logged.

DSCN0360_640x480

We dried him off and put him where we know they hang out – behind the heater for our hot tub.  Hopefully, he’ll be OK.

(No, we don’t know what kind of stroke he was using.)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not a huge fan of squirrels, but would probably have rescued him as you did. In our old house they were everywhere and I simply called them targets.. Here, I usually just let jingles have a run at them!!

Glad the cover arrived...

Trish said...

He is cute Thanks for rescuing him Dan

TjandMark said...

Poor little thing. Good save. It would have been really gross if you had showed up later.

Anonymous said...

The influence of St. Francis continues!
Thanks for scooping him out!

The Wades said...

What Tj said! That would have been bad.

I'd say that is one mighty lucky squirrel. What are the odds you'd come when you did?!

Did you see it run off?

Trailboss said...

Awwwww....you did good Dan.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Poor little guy. Good on you for rescuing him. It would have been awful to have found him drowned in there.

Congrats on the new hot tub cover. I have a jacuzzi tub in my bathroom, but it's so much nicer to take a hot bubbling bath outside beneath the beautiful skies.


~Lisa