When we go on vacation, Betty has most of the good ideas and she had another one for today. This morning we sailed on the catamaran ‘Alala’ which is Hawaiian for ‘Raven.’ We waited on the beach and they sent in a small skiff to take us to the boat.
It was a beautiful morning and we had a great sail out. One of the features of this boat is to find Spinner Dolphins so we might have a chance to swim with them. Spinner Dolphins are called that because they will occasionally jump into the air and spin around.
We sailed about 3 miles North up the coast and there they were.
Several swam along with our bow wake for a mile or so.
Eventually we sailed ahead of them so we could get ready with our snorkel gear. The plan was to get into the water and let them swim towards us which we did.
When the dolphins got close to us they would dive down and swim under us. It was great to watch them swim below us in groups. The captain estimated there were possibly up to a 100. We saw several groups of a dozen or more swim right below us. It was really cool. (I took some pictures with my disposable underwater camera and when it’s developed I will post some of those pictures – if they’re any good.)
After swimming with the dolphins, we boarded the boat and headed a little farther North to a place called Crystal Cove – and the name was appropriate. The water was crystal clear.
We put on our snorkel gear again and snorkeled in the cove for about 45 minutes. It was great fun. There were ledges and fairly deep crevasses to explore with lots of fish.
We had a leisurely sail back to the hotel.
It was great fun.
Once again a short video of our morning.

5 comments:
*AmAzInG* That is the coolest! :)
I think you told me how much you enjoyed the dolphins while in the Navy?! Was this really sensational for you, or have you been swimming with the dolphins before, Dan?
Love sharing the journey, Molly D.
How exciting!!!! I'm glad you are having such a good time!
AWESOME!!! That has been my long-term dream to swim with dolphins ever since I got to pet them in Florida at Sea World years ago. WOW! Dolphins are amazing! I love the way their skin feels.
Those last 3 photos look so professional. I of course love the one of you and Betty, but the one above it and the one below it, I would enlarge and frame. So pretty!
~Lisa
What a grand adventure! So cool seeing them swim right beside your boat.
Post a Comment