O Lord, God of our fathers Abraham, Isaac and Israel, keep this desire in the hearts of your people forever, and keep their hearts loyal to you. (1 Chronicles 29:18-19)
Loyal: 1. faithful to one's sovereign, government, or state: a loyal subject. 2. faithful to one's oath, commitments, or obligations: to be loyal to a vow. 3. faithful to any leader, party, or cause, or to any person or thing conceived as deserving fidelity: a loyal friend. 4. characterized by or showing faithfulness to commitments,vows, allegiance, obligations, etc.: loyal conduct.
I was thinking about what it means to be loyal – to someone or something. From the dictionary definitions above, “faithfulness” has a lot to do with loyalty.
But, where does loyalty end? Does it have an end? Would/should I be loyal to someone with whom I disagree? Would/should I be loyal to someone who does something that might be illegal/immoral?
A dog is a good example of a loyal companion, but I have to admit most dogs will still be loyal to someone even if they do something despicable. Is that a good example of loyalty?
Sir Thomas More is one of my heroes. An important counselor to Henry VIII of England, he was tried and executed for treason by beheading in1535 for denying that the king was the Supreme Head of the Church of England, a title the king had been given by the Act of Supremacy of 1534. More was in prison in the Tower of London since 1534 for his refusal to take the oath required by the First Succession Act, because the act disparaged the power of the Pope. Henry used this act to create the Church of England and enable him to marry Anne Boleyn even though he was still married to Catherine and the Catholic Church would not grant him a divorce.
Even though the King ordered him to be executed, Sir Thomas More never lost his loyalty to the king. Even until his death, he remained loyal.
That’s loyalty in it’s finest form – total disagreement on a life and death and matter, but still loyal. I believe More was able to remain loyal because the king did not deceive him, nor lie to him.
Is it possible to remain loyal to someone with whom you disagree – yes. Is it possible to remain loyal to someone who is not perfect, who makes mistakes? Absolutely.
I would find it hard to be loyal to someone who deceives me or lies to me, but beyond that, loyalty is a gift we can give to those who often don’t deserve it.
As I am given the gift of grace when I don’t deserve it.
(Happy Father’s Day!)
3 comments:
Thanks. I have often thought about loyalty and when someone no longer deserves it.
Good lesson, Dan.
I've been hurt by many and over the years I've hardened my heart to being hurt again. I tend to be very loyal and give everything of myself and be willing to do just about anything for others, but when I find that the other person isn't willing to reciprocate and doesn't seem to appreciate or want to meet me half-way, then I tend to sever ties.
As I've gotten older I find that I do this much quicker, too.
But I doubt the other person ever realizes that it makes me sad and hurt when I choose to do that.
It's just my life is so busy and I want it to be surrounded by positive experiences and people, and not by people who always seem to take advantage of other's kindness and loyalty.
Maybe I should learn to forgive more? But how does one know when it's the right time to finally cut the ties?
~Lisa
Happy Late Father's Day to you! Thanks for your wise lessons. :)
Post a Comment