Betty and I took a horseback ride yesterday to one of our favorite local places. It’s just South of us. There’s a large open area of sage and then a large arroyo.
We rode over to the edge of the arroyo and then rode West along the edge. It’s an up and down little trail and we even picked a few places where we could ride the horses down a slight incline and then back up to give them some work for the muscles in their hind legs and haunches.
It was a good day. It was warm, but there was a nice breeze most of the ride that was still pleasantly cool so it was about as good as you’re going to get for mid-August.
Morgunn was his usual solid self. His only vice is the boy loves to eat so he’s not above trying to sneak a snack while he’s walking. He doesn’t stop and he doesn’t drop his head far, but he’ll still try. Betty does a good job of watching and she catches him far more often than he gets away with it.
Sugar was as good as she’s been since we’ve had her. We were in harmony almost the whole ride.
It makes me realize how important it is for both of us to be in balance with each other. I’m not talking just about physical balance even though that’s important. I’m talking about balance of my mind and emotions so I’m calm and assertive (as the dog whisperer, Cesar Millan, would say).
Horses are no different from us. They can have good days when they’re in balance and bad days when something seems off in their mind or emotions.
When we’re both in balance there’s a harmony in our riding together that’s just great. We seem anticipate each other. I can think about turning and Sugar begins to turn before I make a move. I start to ask her to stop and she’s stopped. We’re both relaxed. It’s wonderful when that happens.
If one of us is out of balance it’s not as good. I wind up having to use more force in my body and through the reins to get Sugar to do what I want. Sometimes it’s me out of balance and sometimes it’s Sugar.
There have been a rare (fortunately) few times when we’ve both been out of balance and it’s not pretty. I’m learning that when that happens it’s up to me to do something about it. Either I get myself back into balance or I cut the ride short. It’s not safe and it’s not fair to Sugar to continue when both of us are not hitting on all cylinders.
I guess life’s like that too in our relationships. When Betty and I are both in balance in our minds and emotions there’s a real harmony between us. When there’s not, it’s not as good a ride.
Fortunately, Monday was one of those great days when Sugar and I were in balance together and, like beautiful music, there was a sweet harmony in our ride.
5 comments:
sweet
This is a precious post. Harmony and balance ..... so important. Glad it was a nice ride. We hiked Sandia Crest today.
(Thank you for being my lone commenter as late.)
I'm glad you all enjoyed a harmonious ride together. I love it when it happens that way, too.
~Lisa
Oh, that we could recognize imbalance in ourselves as easily as we seem to notice it in others...thanks for your insights.
Keri, I was just thinking about your blog before I came over to Dan's--thought, "I wonder if she's posted." I'm headed over in a sec to visit you.
Dan, lovely post. Your calm, quiet logic has many lessons in it to be learned. Thanks for sharing with all of us.
Post a Comment