Sunday, August 29, 2010

Sunday Reflection – Honoring God

ruler But now the Lord declares: 'Far be it from me! Those who honor me I will honor,…’ (1 Samuel 2:30)

Honoring God.  Do I honor God?  How do I honor (or dishonor) God?

Well, let’s take the easy way out and look up the definition of honor:

  1. personal integrity: strong moral character or strength, and adherence to ethical principles
  2. respect: great respect and admiration
  3. dignity: personal dignity that sometimes leads to recognition and glory

Synonyms: integrity, decency, righteousness, principle, uprightness, scrupulousness, rectitude,morality, character

From the above it appears that God has inherent honor because of his integrity, decency, righteousness, morality, and his dignity – all which make up His character. 

My part of honor comes when I show him great respect and admiration – through my thoughts, words, attitudes, and behaviors.

Thoughts help form our words.  Our thoughts and words help form our attitude.  Our thoughts, words and attitude help form our behaviors.  Our thoughts, words, attitude, and behaviors make up how we are living our lives.

Do my thoughts honor God?  Will my words honor God?  Is my attitude toward something or someone honorable to God?  Will my actions honor God?  Will all this show God great respect and admiration?

Those questions are like rulers that we can use to measure how we’re living our lives.  It probably would be a good idea for me to use them more often.

What do you think?

1 comment: