On July 4, 1939 Lou Gehrig spoke these words:
“Yet today I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the earth.”
Lou Gehrig was the original Iron Man playing in 2,130 consecutive games for the New York Yankees – a record that stood until September 6, 1995 when Cal Ripken of the Baltimore Orioles broke it.
What made Gehrig’s words meaningful was that he had just been diagnosed with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) which is now known as Lou Gehrig’s Disease. It’s a fatal disease and Gehrig died two years later in 1941.
Over the past few days I have been reflecting on my life and the people in it. My parents were both good, hard working people who raised me with a strong work ethic and good values. My older sister, Jane, has been a good friend for many years and her husband, Hack, is a great guy with a great sense of humor – and a terrific photographer. They have two neat sons, Kelly and Gary, and Kelly is married to April, a woman of great compassion and gifts. They have my neat nephew, Jory.
I was blessed to marry into Betty’s family. Her stepmother, Nita, is the heart and soul of the family. Nita may not be Betty’s blood mother but she has been the only grandmother our boys have known in Betty’s family and I would be proud to call her mother any day of the week.
Betty’s older sister, Margie, is the terrific aunt to all the kids and is a good friend to Betty. Betty’s older brother, Bill and his wife Noel, are people who have been tested by the fire of life and come out on the other end much stronger. Their faith and friendship are things I have valued for many years. Betty’s younger brother, Jim and his wife Melissa, have a passion and gift for developing young people through their debate programs they have developed over the years. There are many kids from both privileged families and from housing projects who had their lives changed through Jim and Melissa’s work. Their children, Leslie and her husband Tom, and Patrick and his wife Michelle inherited their parents’ passions and great sense of humor.
Our lives have been impacted and changed by our friends Bob and Molly in Ohio and they are still very important part of our life.
We have been blessed and changed by our experiences with our friends Max and Michelle Wade and their ministry Galloping Grace Youth Ranch.
We have so many friends at our church Destiny Center that it’s impossible to list them all here.
Finally, I have Betty and our two sons, Wade and Chris who are blessings in so many ways. Our two boys had the good sense to marry wonderful Christian girls, Marie and Tracy, who have added so much to our lives. Our grand kids, Javier, Juliet and Leah, are so special to us.
Betty of course has been the greatest blessing of all. She’s my best friend and our time together – 6 years dating and 43 plus years married – has made me who I am. I owe her so much.
So, as I go into my surgery tomorrow, Wednesday, I can say, “Today I consider myself the most blessed man on the face of the earth.” As a Christian I don’t believe in luck.
Betty will do a post giving you an update after the surgery. The timing will be dependent on when she can get home to my computer.
Be good while I’m gone.
11 comments:
Prayers for a successful surgery and speedy recovery.
Yes, you are one truly blessed man.
Many prayers and positive thoughts will be sent up to heaven for you tomorrow, Dan.
(((hugs)))
~Lisa
Guidance for your surgeons, and peace for you and your family. The ancients could purchase 2 sparrows for a penny, yet God was aware of and cared for even the sparrows. He cares for you/us, and we are more valuable than sparrows to Him. Matthew 10:29-32 mark
Prayers and positive thoughts for tomorrow
As you are so blessed, you have blessed so many...
AS always, you are both in our prayers this day and each day.
Oh Lord, we bless You, we thank You, we worship You; we give you great glory for Your creation in our friend and brother in Christ, Dan. Watch over him as the surgeons and medical personnel do their best to use their training to Your glory. Be in the hands of each person who touches him during his pre-op, surgery, recovery, and hospital stay. Hover over Betty and surround her with Your holy presence as she waits for word of their progress today. Be with Dan in body, soul and spirit. Invade him at a depth with Your healing Spirit and Your power. And as You bring these things to pass, we will be ever so careful to give You all the glory, for You alone are worthy of glory and honor, praise and all thanksgiving. Amen.
The girls and I already started praying today .... and we will continue.
Blessed for sure.
I'll be thinking of you and your surgery.
Still praying, Dan.
Prayers for strength, patience, and peace sent up for Betty, too.
Love,
~Lisa
Dan, My mother, God rest her soul, died from ALS. It was so hard for everyone and she died after 8 yrs. That is very unusual for someone to live that long w/ALS. It was hard for me as well since I was, am still am, the only sibling living in the same hometown that I grew up in. But I wouldn't trade those days of seeing her for anything. She also had demintia which made things easier for her. She didn't know anyone. I have to say that just before she passed The Lord blessed me with her being able to hear me. No one will ever convince me that she didn't understand everything that I said that afternoon. With that said, The Lord will be with you during your surgery and will be with the surgeon's hands. Prayers said and more will be said tonight from Kentucky. God bless you and your precious family.
Dan, we love you guys! I'm so glad I know the happy outcome to your surgery. What a beautiful post this was.
And about luck, I always catch myself saying that and then try to change it to blessed.
Post a Comment