Sunday, January 30, 2011

Sunday Reflections–Everything Is Relative

Just a short reflection today, but one that is meaningful for me.

Anytime anyone goes through an injury or a significant surgery where there is an extended recovery time, it can be an emotional roller coaster.  That has been true for me as well.  There have been plenty of high times when I have been emotionally supported by Betty, my sons and their families, my friends and plenty of prayer.  But there have also been times when I have been discouraged because I want this all to move much faster.

Today I was in church, which is a good thing, and I happened to be sitting behind a good friend who is permanently confined to a wheelchair and across from a man who I don’t know but have seen several times before who also is permanently confined to a wheelchair.

My friend, Glenda, is one of the most positive persons I know.  She loves the Lord and always has a genuine smile on her face.  Her ministry at church is to sit in her wheelchair at the front door and greet everyone as they arrive.  During the service Glenda openly praises God with her voice and with her upraised hands.

When the worship music would end or go down in volume, I would hear the gentleman across from me quietly praise God with his words in a real and spontaneous way.

What a witness to me.  Any problems I have had with my recovery are minor and short-term in nature compared to the very real issues these two folks face every single minute of their lives.

I guess I still have a lot to learn.

7 comments:

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

We all do, so true.
There is always someone else who walks a more challenging road than you.

After my ACL surgery and the broken knee, I wasn't able to walk without crutches for most of a year, and it's taken me close to two years to get full mobility use of my knee.
But it sure was eye opening when I'd be having a pity party some days because I was unable to walk or hike or ride, and then I'd see someone permanently unable to walk and I was immediately humbled and oh so grateful.

Allow this time of healing to bring you closer to the Lord, my friend.

~Lisa

Rising Rainbow said...

Amen to that! Amazing what a look around a room can do.

I remind myself often that my challenges are just part of the journey.

Mark's Space said...

Humbling words Dan~ I agree with Lisa when she says "there is always someone else who walks a more challenging road than you" You're absolutely right too, in fact we all have a lot to learn. Good luck to you.

Caribbean Culinary Tours and Vacations said...

Hi Thanks for sharing we do have a lot to be thankful for. God bless and I hope you get better soon

Keri said...

That made me weepy. So true, Dan.

Michelle said...

Tears. I do the same thing all the time. I feel sorry for something going on in our family health wise, and then I get a reality check when I see what other families go through.

So glad you shared this. I seem to need reminders quite often.

Michelle said...

I really like Rising Rainbows comment about looking around a room. How very true!