Sunday, May 8, 2011

Sunday Reflection–Happy Mothers Day

Rose_3_640x427

When I was a kid we always wore a Rose bud on our collar when we went to church.  If you wore a white Rose bud that meant your mother was still alive. If the Rose bud was red then your mother was no longer alive.

I don’t think anyone does that any more.  I’m kind of sorry some of those old traditions have gone away.  In their own small way they added something to our lives.

But, we still honor our mothers on this day.  My Mom passed away years ago so my Rose bud would be red if I wore one today.  Betty’s mother died from cancer in 1964 when Betty was 20.  We have all been blessed by Betty’s stepmother, Nita, who has been in our family since 1967.  She is the only grandmother our kids have known in Betty’s family and we all think of her as family – without question.

God tells us to honor our mothers (and fathers) --

"Honor your father and mother"-which is the first commandment with a promise— "that it may go well with you and that you may enjoy long life on the earth."  (Ephesians 6:2-3)

Jesus obviously honored and loved his mother Mary.  Even in the midst of his death on the cross, he made sure she was taken care of by his disciple John.

When Jesus saw his mother there, and the disciple whom he loved standing nearby, he said to his mother, "Dear woman, here is your son,"  and to the disciple, "Here is your mother." From that time on, this disciple took her into his home. (John 19:26-27)

So, to Betty who has been a great mother to our two sons, and to all of you women who have born the honored title of “mother,” I wish you all…

Happy Mothers Day!

2 comments:

TjandMark said...

Thanks. And I am with you on the traditions. When we used to attend a Lutheran church we really enjoyed all of the yearly traditions. Non Denominationals seem to be lacking in that area.

Michelle said...

Thanks, Dan and Happy Mother's Day to Betty.