Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Watermelon Sculptures

When I was a kid, my Aunt Katherine shared my birthday, August 16.  She and my Uncle Van would drive to our house and bring a huge watermelon.  We would put candles in it and that would be my birthday watermelon as I blew out the candles.  I never had a birthday cake as a kid, but I’m not sorry.

I love watermelons.

So, it was fascinating to run across a web site of an artist, Takashi Itoh, who carves beautiful works of art in watermelons (http://watermelon-sculpture.com/CarvingGallery.html).

This is art that has a very limited life as watermelons, like most fruits, will decay and rot after a short time.

But in that short time Mr. Itoh has created wonderful piece of art.  Here are just a few of his pieces.  There are many, many more on his web site.

A flower…

Flower 2_480x480
A horse…

Horse_480x480
A flower…

Flower 1_480x480
A crane and tortoise…

Crane and tortoise_480x480
A flower…

Flower 3_480x480
A flower…

Flower 4_480x480
A flower…

Flower 5_480x480
And finally my favorite, The Pieta…

Pieta_480x480

6 comments:

Fantastyk Voyager said...

Oh my! Those are gorgeous!! It would be hard to cut and eat something that pretty.

My daughter's birthday is Labor Day, so one year, we made her a fruit basket using watermelons, cantaloupes, grapes, strawberries and other fruits. It was really pretty, but nothing quite like that.

Thanks for sharing.

TjandMark said...

Incredible!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Very cool!

~Lisa

Michelle said...

Very cool indeed. Who would of thunk it?

Keri said...

I love the Pieta, too. Very cool~

Unknown said...

What a gift he has! I wonder what lead him to this medium.

I love watermelons too....