This post is for those of you who love horses.
Every horse owner probably has a routine with their horses for two reasons: (1) horses like routine – they’re not big on change or surprise and (2) routines help us ensure we won’t forget anything we want to do with our horses.
Here’s our pre-ride routine every time we ride Sugar and Morgunn:
1. We catch and halter our horses which is not a problem as Sugar and Morgunn wait quietly for us when they see us come with halters.
2. We brush, check manes and tail, and pick feet – pretty standard stuff.
3. We do a massage on their neck, shoulder and hip muscles. They love that.
4. We do spine lifts recommended by our chiropractic vet.
5. We saddle and bridle – pretty standard.
6. We walk them out to the back for a desensitization routine (everything done on both sides): (1) throw the lead rope all over their back, rump and legs, (2) swing the lead rope hitting the ground – start at their rear and walk toward their head while swinging, (3) swing the lead rope back and forth over their head, (4) ask them to drop their head, (5) ask them to back up, (6) ask them to move their hips over, and (7) lunge them in a small circle.
We use a mounting block to get up on our horses to save their backs – and ours. In the saddle we do some circles, halts, back ups, and hip overs before heading out for our ride.
Here’s our post-ride routine:
1. Take off their bit and bridle first thing after dismounting.
2. Give them a drink if it’s hot.
3. Tie them up and oil down the saddle and bridle.
4. Remove all their tack.
5. Brush them down and pick their hooves.
6. Do a massage on their neck, shoulder and hip muscles. They especially love that after a ride.
7. Do spine lifts
8. Give them a carrot – they get a carrot any time they do some work.
9. Hose them down if it’s hot.
10. Take off their halter and put on fly masks – give them a little hay.
Well, that’s our routine. It may be overkill by some standards, but we’ve found it works for our horses and the relationship we have with them.
6 comments:
All I can say is "Wow". Gives me some things to think about. Especially impressed that you clean and oil your saddle each time. That is a good idea that I think I could incorporate.
My routine is about the same but I include stretches before and after rides. I make the stretch for the carrot, both sides, then head down between front hooves as far as they can go.
Sounds good, Dan. What are spine lifts?
~Lisa
Can I come be your horse?
You've got a great routine there. Lots of TLC and I'm sure Morgunn and Sugar appreciate it.
I want to be your horse. Sounds like the life
I'm embarrassed to admit that I haven't ridden a horse since I was 12 but they say you never forget ~ so this September we're planning to go.
Post a Comment