Monday, September 19, 2011

Last Day Sea Turtle

Today, Monday, is our last full day in the islands.  We head home tomorrow evening.

This morning Betty and I got to the beach about 9:30 AM while the water was still pretty calm.  We hadn’t snorkeled yet on this trip so we wanted to get one snorkel trip in before we left.

The day was perfect with calm water, sunny so we could see well in the clear water and a light breeze.  We snorkeled around several points and saw lots of beautiful fish and formations on the rocks.  Unfortunately, I didn’t buy an underwater camera this trip.

On our way back Betty was behind me and I heard her yell, “Dan.”  I turned around and she was pointing into the water and yelled “Sea turtle.”  I swam back and sure enough there was a sea turtle feeding on the rocks just below the surface of the water.

He was at the point in the center right of this photo – on the beach side of the rocks.

SeaTurtle-1
As we hovered close to him he actually swam right up to us until he was only about six inches away as he fed.  We looked at him and he looked at us as he munched his breakfast. I couldn’t resist and I reached out and touched his shell.  It had a velvety feel to it.  Since he was so close to the surface we could see his real colors – it was a beautiful sight.  I am so sorry I didn’t have a camera.

We watched him for maybe ten minutes or so before we swam back to the beach.

It was a real God-treat for us on our last day.  Perhaps the same turtle that swam under Betty’s feet a couple of days ago?

4 comments:

TjandMark said...

He is your turtle friend. Such gentle graceful creatures in the water. We loved seeing them too.

juliette said...

What a great experience! That is wonderful you got to enjoy the last day in the water with your sea turtle friend. Perfect. Thank you for sharing that.

Fantastyk Voyager said...

That is awesome!! I'm glad you could experience one of God's creations so close up.

Keri said...

AWESOME!!!!