One of the criminals hanging beside him scoffed, “So you’re the Messiah, are you? Prove it by saving yourself—and us, too, while you’re at it!” But the other criminal protested, “Don’t you fear God even when you have been sentenced to die? We deserve to die for our crimes, but this man hasn’t done anything wrong.” Then he said, “Jesus, remember me when you come into your Kingdom.” And Jesus replied, “I assure you, today you will be with me in paradise." (Luke 23:39-43)
I can't imagine any greater words to hear from Jesus than, "I assure you, today you will be with me in paradise."
Sometimes, I think we make salvation too complicated. Inadvertently, we can make it a barrier to those seeking God. Here's a man, a criminal - probably most of his life - condemned to death by the law of the world. All he does is acknowledge he deserves death and then asks Jesus to remember him when he comes into his kingdom.
So simple, yet that is the essence of salvation - acknowledging we don't deserve mercy and acknowledging that Jesus is king, lord, savior - the words don't matter. It's what's in the heart.
My salvation moment came late at night. For years I was trying to find my salvation, my worth and value, through my career. After several months of having that shaken through several events, all I said one night was, "God, I'm tired of trying it my way. I'm ready to try it your way." And I meant it.
Simple words with little apparent theological meaning. There are probably some well-meaning Christians who might say I didn't do it the 'right' way. All I know is my life was changed from that moment on.
God has given us the gift of salvation through the sacrifice of his son Jesus. Let's try not to complicate this simple gift so that we inadvertently become a stumbling block for others.
The old Shaker song, 'Simple Gifts' may have some simple truths:
'Tis the gift to be simple, 'tis the gift to be free
'Tis the gift to come down where we ought to be,
And when we find ourselves in the place just right,
'Twill be in the valley of love and delight.
When true simplicity is gain'd,
To bow and to bend we shan't be asham'd,
To turn, turn will be our delight,
Till by turning, turning we come 'round right.
No comments:
Post a Comment