Sunday, November 20, 2011

Taking a Walk on the Inside

Have you ever awakened in the middle of the night and started worrying over something coming up that's a problem/issue for you? Your mind goes, "If this happens, I'll do this," or "If he says this, then I'll say that," or "If she does this, I'll feel this way." Those are future-oriented thoughts, but it can also occur with past issues. "Why did I do that in that situation?" "Why did she say that to me?" "Why did he do that to me?"

This is 'what-if' thinking and officially is called 'introspection.'

Introspection is a self-examination of our thoughts, feelings, attitudes, behaviors and actions. It almost always stirs up feelings of worry and anxiety about our past and/or our future.

What does God say about this walk on the inside?

Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. (Philippians 4:6)

"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, ..." (Matthew 6:25)

God clearly tells us not to worry or be anxious. That's easy to read, but hard to put into our daily lives. If introspection produces worry and anxiety then it's probably not what God wants us to do.

David gives us a clue to God's approach in Psalm 26:

Test me, Lord, and try me, examine my heart and my mind; (Psalm 26:2)

God wants us to be examined, but there is a difference.

In introspection, we are the guide of the walk on the inside - it's a self-examination. And, it doesn't allow much or any room for faith in God. The focus is on us - our worries, our short-comings.

In God's examination, the Holy Spirit is the guide of the walk on the inside - it's a God-examination. Faith in God is a prerequisite for and an outcome of this walk. The focus is on God and our relationship with him.

Ready for a walk?

4 comments:

Jerry said...

I liked this. Worry is not of God. The picture goes good with the subject

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Thanks for sharing this, Dan. I tend to be an extremely introspective person, always questioning and wondering and worrying.
This is a good remember to allow God be in control and stop worrying about everything.

~Lisa

TjandMark said...

Excellent. Still learning....

Happy THanksgiving.

Michelle said...

I really need to read this--daily!!! Thanks, Dan.