Thursday, December 1, 2011

Question for Horse Folks

We have a question for you horse folks who read this blog and would greatly appreciate your opinions.

Currently, we're using a Tucker Toklat saddle pad with a fleece lining similar to this one:

It's a good pad and fits us and the horses well.  The only problem is that with a combination of sweat, dirt and hair (in the spring) we have to use a saddle blanket to keep them clean.  It's easier (for us at least) to clean a saddle blanket than to clean a saddle pad.

We would like to eliminate the saddle blanket and we're considering switching to a felt pad similar to this one:
Is it reasonable to think that we can use the felt pad without a blanket?  We know we'll need to clean it and wonder how easy/difficult felt pads are to clean.

If you have any thoughts and/or experience you can share we will greatly appreciate them.

Thanks,

Dan & Betty

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a Diamond Wool pad and love it - it conforms to the horse's shape. If you google "cleaning felt saddle pads" there are good bits of advice on how to clean one - essentially brushing off hair and dirt and spot cleaning seem to be the recommendations - I haven't owned mine long enough to do a serious cleaning.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

I don't have any experience with felt pads, but I have a Toklat saddle pad and find it easy to brush clean and I don't use a blanket underneath.

This year I bought a Toklat CoolBack Fleece Saddle pad because I wanted something a little thicker and better shaped to my saddle. I am very pleased with it, but best of all, the more you wash it, the better, the fluffier, the softer it gets over time, but it still keeps it shape. They also come in lots of beautiful solid colors.

I bought mine from Long Riders Endurance Gear. They have great customer service, too.

http://www.longridersgear.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=79_27_65

~Lisa

Michelle said...

Well, let me explain my opinion on the matter. You see, it is most important. . . wait, you wanted horse folks to answer. Shoot.

Would you like to know which one I think is prettier? I could help there.

Love,

The Dork

Jeni said...

I can't be of help here sorry. I've always used a saddle blanket under my pads when riding western.