Sunday, December 4, 2011

Sunday Reflection - Don't Make God Mad

My daily Bible study is fairly simple.  I read through the Bible from Genesis to Revelation - not all in one day, of course.  When I finish Revelation, I start back at the beginning and start reading again in Genesis.  I don't know how many times I've read through the Bible, but it's interesting to see how much new I see each time I go through it.

I read two chapters a day regardless of how long or short the chapters are.  It's fairly basic, but that method works for me.

I'm currently in the middle of Ezekiel.  It and Lamentations that comes before it can be pretty depressing.  The general theme of both is that Israel and Judah have screwed up and God is going to lower the boom on them.  Actually, his wrath is pretty severe.  Some are going into exile, some will die from famine or disease and some will die by the sword.  He uses other kingdoms, especially Babylon as his instruments of punishment.

So, what did Israel and Judah do that got God so ticked off?

Very simple - they turned away from him and worshipped other gods.  The worst for me is some worshipped the god Baal and even sacrificed their children in fire to him.

I worry for our nation that we may possibly incur God's wrath and ultimately his judgment.  We worship the gods of abortion, euthanasia, power, money, sex, fame, celebrity and on and on.  God made it pretty clear that we should have no other god before him.

God loves us so much that gave us the gift of the forgiveness for our sins through the final sacrifice of his son Jesus - but, like most gifts, it has to be received.  It can also be rejected.  God has made it pretty clear what the future holds for those who reject the gift of his son and turn to other gods.

God is love - but God is still holy.


But, even in the midst of his anger, God loves his children:

Ezekiel 11:19 -- I will give them an undivided heart and put a new spirit in them; I will remove from them their heart of stone and give them a heart of flesh. 

No comments: