Sunday, June 3, 2012

Sunday Reflections - What I Learn From Horses

Since I have been immersed in horse for the past week, I have been thinking about what I have learned from horses.

That's Sand, the Rocky Mountain Horse I rode the last few days at the clinic.

There's a lot I have learned, but here are just a few thoughts.

Horses live in the now. If I'm not careful, I can live in the past, fretting over all the things I have done wrong, the mistakes I have made, the opportunities I missed. Or, I can live in the future usually worrying about something that may or may not happen. In either case, I need to remind myself to,live in the now for that's the only place I can experience God.

Horses are willing to change. That's what I have been doing all week - learning how to train horses in a way that helps them to change in a way that gives them a more secure, safe life. God's been trying to change me all my life - maybe if I was smart as a horse I would learn what's good for me.

Horses are curious, but in a cautious way. It's easier for me as I get older to lose some of my curiosity about life, become kind of set in my ways with what's comfortable. That's one reason I love working with horses becausethere's so much still to learn - probably far more than I can learn in one lifetime.

Horses are forgiving. I can make all kinds of mistake with my horse, Sugar, and she still accepts me. It's a good reminder that God is like that with me and he wants me to be that way with the people in my life.

Horses have even more to teach me. I think that's one way God likes to talk to me.

4 comments:

lytha said...

you said horses live in the now.

i believe we live in the now when we ride, and that is why riding is like meditation or sports, that clear your mind of the traffic of thoughts because of the need to focus.

jesus said it too. it's a common theme in other religions, they're just louder about this theme.

i wish i were better at this, but it's been a long time since i've truly savored riding.

Jeni said...

Good thoughts.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

That's why I love riding. When I'm with my horse and were communicating and really focused on each other and the task at hand, it's impossible for me to allow distracting thoughts into my mind. I truly live in the now when I'm riding.

~Lisa

Anonymous said...

Can hardly wait to get some learning in. Good reminders, Dan.

Tj