Betty and I were supposed to meet with someone this morning for pastoral counseling, but she canceled. So, were able to work some more with Sugar and Morgunn. Both horses did well.
Betty continues to make strides in getting Morgunn to respond to her cues without pulling on his mouth. He's doing better and better. Now Betty can ride him down around our stable and back out to our arena area without him making a big deal about it. They have come a long way.
Sugar continues to respond well to my cues. I need to do a better job of being clear in my own mind about what I want before giving the cues. Her gait is still improving. On our last gait she started off kind of trotty but settled into a nice four-beat gait without me doing anything. I just relaxed and gave her the opportunity to find the gait on her own and she did.
Here's a picture of Morgunn doing is favorite post-ride activity.
He loves to roll in the gravel. I'm sure it feels good on his back after the saddle is removed. Here's a close up of his face where you can see his tongue sticking out.
I love Sugar's winter coat. In the summer she looks more black. However, in the winter you can see she's really a chocolate brown which is a traditional Rocky Mountain Horse color.
And, if you look close she has patches of gold showing. You can see the streaks in her haunches and the whole bottom of her stomach is golden in color. The front part is in shadow and looks darker.
Here are some more riding thoughts from Dominique Barbier...
Working in hand - never lead or pull the horse forward; use the whip or cluck; make the horse make the first move, not you.
Working in hand - don't look into the horse's eyes.
Working in hand - if having trouble, stand more in front of the horse.
The horse must know that you are going to keep asking until he decides to do it.
Halt through relaxation, not tension.
Never pull with your hands.
Playing with the fingers means a very quick opening and closing of the fingers of one or both hands, coupled with a very clear mental message.
Opening the fingers must always be looked at as a reward.
Don't go for long periods with fingers closed; keep it light.
Start to give with the reins when you want to pull.
Impulsion is the level of energy in your brain.
Ask the horse which position or balance is the best way to perform and listen to them.




4 comments:
Can we come visit?
Adorable photo of sweet Morgunn rolling!!!
I love Sugar's colors too - my boys have similar coats in winter.
Good stuff. I had small breakthrough with my paint. After riding her away from herd without drama we went back to the barn and after I unhalteted her she decided to hang out with me in the barn! When she finally went back to the herd she walked and yawned. I'm pretty happy about it.
Some of those ideas reminded me of getting Rowan to take a nap!! Especially the part about letting the horse know you will not give up until it does what you want. I do not love horses, (as you well know), but I do love reading your stuff!
Post a Comment