Sunday, November 25, 2012

Sunday Reflections - Skills for God

My way of studying the Bible is to read through the Bible from Genesis to Revelation. I'm starting over again for probably the fifth or sixth time.

I'm in the book of Exodus where God is giving Moses instructions for constructing the Tabernacle.

God specifically brings a skilled craftsman to Moses and tells Moses...

Exodus 31: 3 and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with wisdom, with understanding, with knowledge and with all kinds of skills...

Then God went on with his detailed specifications.

That little statement made me stop and think. I have known for years that God gives his people gifts - spiritual gifts - for very specific reasons to further his kingdom. I haven't really thought that maybe the skills, understanding, knowledge and wisdom we have are also given by God for specific reasons.

Some of my skills are...

  • I'm a good listener,
  • I can ask good questions that help people talk,
  • I'm calm in emergencies,
  • I can work pretty well with horses,
  • I can write reasonably well,
  • I can draw
Now that I'm aware that these skills come from God I'm curious to see how he will use them for his purposes.

 

3 comments:

Jennifer Noble said...

Do you have the chronological list? I liked using that for a guide, and it's pretty much Genesis to Revelation. Congrats on the 6th or 7th time through!?!

bobbyd said...

Quite an insight..I was in a group last week that talked about THE GIFTS and many were feeling down that none had been bestowed upon them. All the men around the table had talents and skills..maybe the scripture you refer to will give them the validation they yearn for...

And, I'm with you about reading through the bible. I use a different version each time and only read the old testament every other time..I can only do Numbers and Judges so many times!!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Those are all good gifts/skills.
I didn't know you could draw. Perhaps you'll share some of your drawings someday?

~Lisa

ps thank you for the wonderful CD. You really should consider posting it to You Tube with your other videos. It is wonderfully done and I enjoyed seeing parts of the parade that I missed because we were towards the end. Was also very fun to relive the parade, too.