Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Rio Grande and Farmers Market

This past Sunday I needed to get out after being inert for over a week recovering from my hernia surgery.

Betty and I went to church and I made it OK, but I was tired and a little sore afterwards. But, we wanted to do one thing before we went home (actually it turned out to be two things).

We have had a ton of rain in this area (at least by New Mexico standards) over the last week. Between Tuesday and Saturday last week, our rain gauge recorded about 3 to 4 inches which is a lot for us. When it rained, it came down in buckets. When I was growing up my father called these kind of rains 'frog stranglers.'

Normally, the Rio Grande is not that Grande, especially with the drought we've had. Before all this rain came people said they could actually walk across the river and it barely covered their shoes. There was more sand showing than water.

We knew this probably had changed with all the rain so after church we decided to drive down to the Alameda bridge to check it out. The Rio Grande was definitely in flood stage.

There has been even more rain to the North of us in the mountains which is good as it feeds the Rio Grande. All of this river water will help the farmers who depend on the river for their irrigation. Now if we can only get a good snow pack in the mountains this winter we'll be in great shape - at least until the next drought (it is the high desert, you know).

On the way home we decided to stop at the Corrales Growers Market that's held every Sunday morning during the growing season. We bought some great tasting cantaloupe and peaches, some greens, some Indian oven bread (made fresh that morning) and some potatoes.

Here's a short video of both our Rio Grande excursion and our shopping stop at the Growers Market.

 

4 comments:

bobbyd said...

I love the sounds and power of full rivers-glad you got out for a while.

TjandMark said...

Those photos took my breath away. What a beautiful painted sky. Nice.

TjandMark said...

Those photos took my breath away. What a beautiful painted sky. Nice.

MLD said...

Great frog stranglers! I actually saw flotsam and eddies! Could almost smell the chilies roasting, too. Sad I was there too early to get a new Corrales t-shirt!
Glad you were able to get out a bit.