Sunday, September 29, 2013

Sunday Reflections - Choices

Over the years I have made many choices that have affected my life - some for good and some not so good.

As I get older I realize that my choices are even more important as they will affect how I live the Autumn of my life (that's a poetic way of saying that how I'll live as an old man).

To make good choices it helps to have goals so that I can make choices that help me achieve my goals in this latter part of my life. Here are some of the goals that I have set.

Be a better follower of Christ. This is the most important goal for me and the choices I will make to achieve that goal. I hope to somehow shows God's love to others in small ways each and every day. If those choices I make help someone to come to Christ that will be wonderful.

Be a better husband to Betty. I choose every day what kind of husband I will be that day. God tells me to love Betty as Christ loves the church and gave his life for her. That's a tall order, but one I willingly accept.

Be a better father to Wade and Chris. Even though they are grown men with families of their own and I am no longer their parent, I'm still their father. I want to make choices that show them how much I love them, how I proud I am of them, to be a good example of how to live your life until the very end - which leads me to my last goal.

I do NOT want to be a grumpy, grouchy old man. I know that as I grow older, despite my best efforts at exercise and diet, my body and mind will some day let me down - disappoint me. That's the nature of the fallen life we live. As I 'lose' things, I pray that God will give me the grace and courage to accept those losses with grace and good humor.

I want to live my last days with joy, love and laughter.

 

2 comments:

TjandMark said...

Choices.... Such a divine gift. I think about this a lot. Somedays I go to sleep at night feeling good about the choices I made that day and sometimes I don't. I sure do hope you choose to not be a grumpy old man either. You wouldn't be able to make any of your goals if you did. Lol

MLD said...

Gotta love a man of your commitments!