Monday, September 22, 2008

Happy Fall

At 9:44 AM this morning, Mountain Daylight Time, the sun crossed the autumnal equinox.  That means that it was directly above the Equator.  It will continue to head South of the Equator and our days will get even shorter and our weather cooler.

I don't know if pagans celebrate and I don't really care.  I celebrate the start of Fall as part of God's wondrous celestial mechanism that he created.  I also celebrate the beautiful colors we're seeing now and more are yet to come.

In our sage world, this is the time of the year for purple sage to bloom.  There is also a wild aster that blooms purple this time of year as well.  Then there are the wild sunflowers with their brilliant yellow blooms.  More yellow will come as the cottonwoods begin shortly to bloom in a brilliant blaze of gold and yellow.

Even the sunrises and sunsets are more magnificent this time of year.  The days are still warm and the nights are pleasantly cool.

I love our New Mexico Fall.

Today is September 22 and if today is your Birthday then you share your day with:  My sister-in-law, Noel, and the wedding anniversary of my sister, Jane, and her husband Hack.  Also with:  Bonnie Hunt, Scott Baio, Joan Jett, Debby Boone, and Tommy Lasorda.

On this day in 1776 Nathan Hale ("I regret I only have one life to give for my country.") was hanged as a spy by the British.  In 1792 the French Republic was proclaimed.  And, in 1862 Abraham Lincoln issued the preliminary Emancipation Proclamation.  

3 comments:

TjandMark said...

The purple sage is amazing. I love purple. And yellow sunflowers in a blue sky. Beautiful and educational post. I always forget about all those cool scientific facts. I just notice what I see and feel.

Tj

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Just beautiful!

That reminds me that I want to take drive down through the bosque as the cottonwoods turn colors. I love that burst of yellow before the leaves turn brown and fall away.

I really like the aroma of sage. Many people burn it so the smoke helps freshen stale air in their homes.

~Lisa

The Wades said...

I feel even closer to you that ever--do you know I love when people correctly use "hanged" in stead of "hung"?!! That brought a smile to my heart--the talk of hanging. ;) Oh, your flowers are pretty nice, too.

When is Betty going to post? I'm curious what that sweet lady has to say.