On September 4th, our post detailed our roasted green chile buying adventure at Wagners Market. If you recall, we left the chiles as they were steaming in the plastic bags in our garage. Later that evening we put them into the refrigerator.
As Paul Harvey says, "here's the rest of the story."
Here are the roasted green chiles in the plastic bags as we get ready to prepare them for freezing.

Yours truly cutting the stem off a roasted green chile. Since these are Sandia Hot green chiles, it's prudent to wear gloves as the constant exposure to the chile oils can cause skin irritation.

This is a close up of me cutting off the green chile stems. The pile on the left is skins from previous chiles.

The next step is to remove the skin. The roasting and sitting over night in the refrigerator makes the skin slip right off - leaving the green 'meat' of the chile. After removing the skin, we squeeze out as many seeds as possible.

Here are two bowls of green chile meat ready to put into freezer bags to freeze.

This will be good eatin' all through the winter. Yum, yum!
4 comments:
Now I am fully prepared to roast my chiles when they get ready in a few weeks. The first time I grew chiles I did not know about the gloves being a neccessity. Big mistake. My hands almost blistered. I had to sleep with my hands in a bowl of ice water. Now I totally gear up... gloves, goggles and mask. Everyone laughs at me, but better safe than sorry, I say.
Tj
I LOVE green chile. I never wear the gloves--that would be really smart. You wouldn't believe how much my nose and eyes itch while I'm peeling.
I cannot believe TJ knows about green chiles--I didn't think they existed out of NM.
Mmmmm, I can just smell that heavenly aroma. There is nothing like it.
Ok, now I've got to make it down to Corrales soon so I can pick up some chiles for us.
When is the Corrales Fall festival?
Is the corn maze ready yet??
Fall is coming! :)
~Lisa
Laughing Orca Ranch
Tijeras, NM
I love the smell of chiles roasting!
Post a Comment