Saturday, September 27, 2008

New Bit - Last Post

I took Morgunn out for a short ride this morning.  We rode down the street and South toward the arroyo that is in that direction.  There's a dirt road that goes along the arroyo and then circles back toward the houses that are across the street from us.  It was only about 30 minutes, but since we haven't ridden much at all this summer, he's definitely out of shape.  I want to work him gradually a little more each time we ride so he can work himself back into shape.

He did fine, even if a little slow since he's a little flabby (as I was until I started exercising again once Betty started to feel a little better).  He also did very well with the new Rocking S snaffle bit I recently got for him.  He was very calm with it and responded well with very little rein pressure.  He even did a couple of nice half-passes which I was happy to see because it's been a long time since I asked him to do that.  He walked with a nice, relaxed head position.  The couple of times I asked him to do a tolt (the Icelandic gait), he was a little trotty and we need to work some more with his collection.  However, I suspect that also is due to his being out of shape and that will get progressively better with more work.

This is a picture of the new bit in Morgunn's mouth.   A regular O-ring, Eggbutt, or D-ring snaffle would have the ring connected to the bar (the piece in his mouth) with the ring behind the mouth.  The reins would also attach directly to the ring.  With this Rocking S snaffle bit, the reins connect to small ring atop the inside ring.  This inside ring moves freely so whenever Morgunn wants to mouth the bit it floats as his mouth moves.  The reins are attached to the outside half ring. 

Here's a picture with rein pressure being applied to the bit (not much as I didn't want him to move his head).  The outside half-ring is the pressure point on the bit and it can move freely.  You almost get a side-pull effect.  The inside rings act almost like a full-cheek snaffle so you don't have to worry about accidently pulling the bit through his mouth.  Unlike a full-cheek snaffle you don't have to worry about the cheek pieces poking the horse.

For those who have no idea what I'm talking about here are pictures of the other types of snaffle bits that I mentioned above.

A picture of an O-ring snaffle bit:

A picture of an Eggbutt snaffle bit:

A picture of a D-ring snaffle bit:

A picture of a Full-cheek snaffle bit:


Enough about the new bit!

Today is September 27 and if today is your Birthday then you share your day with:  Gwyneth Paltrow, Shaun Cassidy, Mike Schmidt, Meat Loaf (singer, not the dish), Wilford Brimley, and William Conrad.

On this day in 1825 the first locomotive to haul a passenger train was operated in England.  In 1954 the "Tonight" show, hosted by Steve Allen, made its debut on NBC.  In 1964 the Warren Commission issued a report that said that Lee Harvey Oswald was the lone gunman in the Kennedy assassination.  In 1998 Mark McGwire of the St. Louis Cardinals hit his record setting 69th and 70th home runs (perhaps aided by a little juice?).  And in 1999 Detroit's Tiger stadium closed after 87 years as the home of the Detroit Tigers.

3 comments:

TjandMark said...

I like the bit. Eric was wanting to get a full cheek for Sweet William, but I think I like this better, for sometimes the solid post does poke. Thanks Dan, the photos really helped me understand it. Thanks too for being our number 1 commenter!

Blessings, Tj

The Wades said...

What a pretty little mouth he has.

I never noticed you were flabby. What you must think of me!!!

TJ and Mark, Dan's your number 1 commenter??! That's depressing. I need to step my game. Am I at least number 2?

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Dan,
Thanks for this really interesting photo tutorial and informational post. I learned a few new things along the way.
I also want to know more about the gaits of an Icelandic horse and in what way they are different from other horse breeds. Fascinating stuff.

Morgunn has a cute little mouth. What size bit fits best in his mouth?
It seems that most bits come in only one size: 5". And I find it hard to believe that all horses wear that same size.

I'm considering buying a Half Breed halter. It's basically a Side Pull with a simple jointed snaffle bit, but it only comes in 5" and now I'm not so sure about the jointed bit.

My biggest problem with Baby Doll is that she is heavy on the hand....with both the Dr Cook's and the snaffle.

I would really like for her to be softer.

When you said that you weren't progressing with Morgunn, what exactly did you mean?
Are you working on anything in particular?

Thanks in advance. I'm enjoying this talk about bits and horses very much.

~Lisa