There were some good questions on yesterday's post about this new bit I'm trying with Morgunn. I'll try to answer them today. I'm not an expert by any means, but I'll give you my honest opinion.Lisa (Laughing Orca Ranch) asked why I thought this particular bit would be good with Morgunn. When I first got Morgunn he was in a leverage bit - one where the reins attach to shanks so there is more leverage on the bit when there is contact on the reins. This is a good bit for a lot of horses, but it does require someone who is experienced enough to know how to be gentle with the hands and reins. It's easy, with a leverage bit, to be too harsh with the horse's mouth.
After about a year and a half, I decided to give the bitless bridle a shot. I wasn't having any trouble with Morgunn; it was just curiousity on my part. He seemed to like it, but I didn't notice any real difference. However, after a year or so, I noticed that we weren't improving in terms of our riding together. We seemed to hit a plateau. I'm sure it was more than just the bitless bridle, but I decided to go back to the bit to get a little more contact with him. I didn't want to go back to a leverage bit as I feel any horse is capable of good performance with a simple snaffle if we're willing to put the time into training. I don't mean to imply there are not good reasons to go to a leverage bit, but I don't recommend doing it as a shortcut instead of good training.
As I mentioned, I ran across this bit on Mark Rashid's web site. He's a common-sense trainer who's not into being a celebrity trainer. I have a great respect for his methods and this is the only piece of tack he recommends.
7MSN asked if the bit was available in the local tack shops and I don't think so, but I'll check over the next couple of weeks and let you know for sure. I bought mine at C&W Western Store (http://www.kyhorse.com/store/tack/reinsman/specialtysnaffles.htm). Their price is about $30 cheaper than anyone else.
I had planned to ride Morgunn again this morning, but an e-mail from our friends, Max and Michelle, at Galloping Grace Youth Ranch got me to head out to the ranch this morning to help with a group of Girl Scouts who came out to ride. It was a lot of fun.
I'm also going to the ranch tomorrow morning to help again. So, it will be Saturday morning before I can ride Morgunn again. I'll take some pictures so you can see how the bit works on him. Look for them on the Saturday evening post.
Today is September 25 and if today is your Birthday then you share your day with: Catherine Zeta-Jones, Will Smith, Scotty Pippen, Heather Locklear, Christopher Reeve, Mark Hamill, Michael Douglas, Barbara Walters, and William Faulkner.
On this day in 1789 the first US Congress adopted 12 amendments to the Constitution and sent them to the States for ratification. The 10 that were ratified became the Bill of Rights. In 1957 with 300 US Army troops standing guard, nine black children were escorted to Central High School in Little Rock, Arkansas. And, in 1981 Sandra Day O'Connor was sworn in as the first female US Supreme Court Justice.
3 comments:
Thanks Dan for explaining a bit...about bits (hehe) and for answering some of my questions.
I really appreciate it and look forward to an update after you ride Morgunn this weekend.
We're talking about coming out to Corrales this weekend for tyhe festival, just not sure which day.
Might be better for us to wait and stop by for a visit on a less chaotic weekend, though. :)
~Lisa
Lisa, I would agree a quieter weekend would probably work better.
Dan
Looking forward to the photos.
Thanks,
Tj
Post a Comment