Sunday, September 7, 2008

Sunday Reflections


I have heard many sermons in various churches over the years that talk about the abundant life in Christ - and I believe that is true.

But, I have been wondering what kind of abundant life have Betty and I been living this year?  It's been a difficult year for us - especially for Betty.  The first six months were spent getting over the various broken bones from her accident last Fall.  We had a good June, then the emergency appendectomy set in on July 10.  That was followed by several weeks of recovery from the surgery only to find out she had a bacterial infection as a result of the antibiotics she received.  The antibiotic she was given for that infection had really bad side effects.  After she was done with that course of antibiotic she definitely felt better - for a few days.

She relapsed while we were in Fort Collins visiting family and we had to cancel our the rest of our trip to Montana and Canada.  She went on a stronger and longer course of antibiotics and had to deal with the side effects all over again.  She finished this course a little over a week ago and is just now beginning to feel better.  We're praying there will be no relapse again, but we'll know over the next few days.

For the first eight plus months of this year she has had one good month - June.  The rest have been painful, nauseating, or stressful - and often all three.  So, where's the abundant life in all this?

Even though I would never want this again for us or wish it for anyone else, we have had some incredibly close, intimate times in the midst of all this.  Our appreciation for each other has risen to a new height - far beyond any other time in our 41 years of marriage.

We have learned what our vows of 41 years ago really mean - "for better or worse, in sickness and in health."  It's one thing to say them.  It's totally different when you have to live them out.

Finally, we have learned a new understanding of what it means to depend upon God.  When there were no other alternatives and our personal resources ran completely dry, that's when we came to understand the abundance of God's love for us.

So, yes, a life in Christ is an abundant life - but we have learned that abundance may take far different forms that what we would normally seek or desire.

6 comments:

The Wades said...

amen, brother!

you two are such an amazing couple! it reaffirms to max and me that we will still be in love when our kiddos fly the nest.

i wish you two didn't have to be going through all of this right now. sorry for betty's pain and sickness. i had no idea the antiobiotics caused the bacteria problem. did they give her the wrong type?

sending good wishes your way and prayers up to the big guy.

love ya

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

This is just beautiful. Some people never seem to get it. But the two of you have stayed together long enough to not just 'get it', but to revel in it all and join even tighter your bonds of love.

Our 19th wedding anniversary is next May. I hope that it doesn't take us another 20 years to fully realize how blessed we really are to have found each other.

The two of you are such an inspiration.

God Speed in healing, Betty.

~Lisa

TjandMark said...

Dan, this is a beautiful and well said post. Abundant life has many different forms and it just takes having the right eyes to see it. Today, my friend who lost her son came out to ride, swim and talk. Already I see God at work giving her new eyes and hope is rising.

thanks again for your words and encouragement. may Betty be well soon. Tj

The Wades said...

I'm fine that you haven't update. NO pressure from this girl. Get to it when you can. ;)

I'm just happy to have a blog to visit. Love ya

Trailboss said...

I am so inspired by you both. Betty has had a rough year for sure but you Dan, you have been there right beside her, just like you said, in sickness and in health. I have been thinking of you two a lot lately but not worrying because you have a faith that will see you both through anything. I am proud to say I have the same faith. It has and continues to get me through a lot in my life.

TjandMark said...

Knowing that the time will come when we recognize that the value of what we have received dwarfs those things we have endured, I remind you of our Hope. Not because I think you have forgotten, rather because this has been helpful to me.
I also want to join the chorus in saying that through your words I am sharing your struggles and triumphs in some small way. The kindness and grace we see in you two are real blessings to us.
Gaining new appreciation for my wife and becoming closer to my God ARE treasures that few would trade away for anything. (later, when the suffering is past! ;) )