Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Washing Windows

Today is a short post as I'm doing one of the twice-yearly jobs that I love (he said with a touch of sarcasm in his voice, or I guess fingers since I'm typing this) - washing windows.  This and mopping the floors (all our floors are tile) are two jobs that I plan to do twice a year - in the Fall and again in the Spring.

I usually do both just before Balloon Fiesta as we usually have company for that event.

And, no that's not me in the picture.  Except for a four foot ladder I use for the upper part of the bedroom windows and our large, living room windows, I keep my feet on the ground.

Today is September 30 and if today is your Birthday then you share your day with:  Jenna Elfman, Johnny Mathis, Robin Roberts, Angie Dickinson, Truman Capote, Deborah Kerr, and Elie Wiesel.

On this day in 1788 Pennsylvania elected the first two Senators to the new, US Senate, and they immediately tried to put $2 million dollars worth of earmarks into the Constitution (just kidding about that last part).  In 1846 ether was used for the first time as an anesthetic (when I was 6 and had my tonsils out, they were still using ether - bad experience).  In 1927 Babe Ruth hit his 60th home run to set a record that stood for a long time.  In 1954 the US Navy commissioned the first nuclear submarine, the SSN Nautilus.  In 1962, black student James Meredith registered at the University of Mississippi.  And, in 1982 the comedy "Cheers" made its debut on NBC.  

3 comments:

The Wades said...

For your next volunteer duties, please come wash my NEVER washed windows. Thanks so much!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Oooh, I can so feel that sarcasm, too. hehe!

Our house has more windows than I count, and some that need special extension tools to reach.

The spiders feel so safe in those windows, that they've created quite impressive webby homes. gah!

~Lisa

TjandMark said...

This summer I hired Kaya to wash my windows. She was happy, I was happy, it was a win win situation. I am really glad you told me it wasn't you in the photo, by the way, I never would have guessed.