Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Flu Shot Day

Today is flu shot day and, no, the picture to the left is no one we know. It's just a good example of how I feel when I get a flu shot. I act the big, tough, macho guy - "Sure, no problems. Stick away." However, this picture is how I feel inside.

Today is October 21 and if today is your Birthday then you share your day with: Carrie Fisher (Princess Leia with the cinnamon buns on the side of her head in "Star Wars"), Benjamin Netanyahu (Israel Prime Minister), Judge Judy, Joyce Randolph (Trixie on "The Honeymooners"), Dizzy Gillespie (Jazz trumpeter), and Alfred Nobel (Swedish inventor of dynamite and the Nobel Peace Prize).

On this day in 1797 the USS Consitution, "Old Ironsides," was launched in Boston Harbor. In 1805 British Admiral Horatio Nelson was the victor at the Battle of Trafalgar even though he died from his wounds. In 1879 Thomas Edison invented the first, workable light bulb. In 1917 American soldiers first saw combat in World War I. And in 1975 Carlton Fisk hit the game winning home run for the Boston Red Sox over the Cincinnati Reds in game 6 of the World Series. However, Cincinnati won the seventh game to win the series. Go Reds!

3 comments:

The Wades said...

I haven't had one in years. Hope that doesn't come back to haunt me this year. Good luck--and be a big boy! :)

The Wades said...

BTW, I enjoyed reading "cinnamon buns" and your enthusiasm about the Reds. :)

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Yowch! I hope it's worth it...and keeps you healthy and strong.....

so you can keep on blogging :)

~Lisa