Friday, November 21, 2008

Six Things About Me

My Sandia Mountain blog friend, Lisa at Laughing Orca Ranch, tagged me for "6 Things About Me." Well, it gives me something to write about on this Friday.

So here goes.....

6 Things about me

1) I grew up wanting to be Roy Rogers. Having my own horse is as close as I'll come.

2) I navigated a ship around the world while in the Navy. We left Florida and went through the Panama Canal to the Pacific. We spent 7 months in the South China Sea during the Vietnam conflict. We sailed to Singapore and then Thailand. We went through the Indian Ocean to the Seychelles Islands. We stopped in Mozambique in Africa and sailed around Cape Horn to the South Atlantic. We stopped in Brazil and eventually returned back to Florida.

3) Both of our sons were born while I was in the Navy and I missed both of them being born. I missed the oldest, Wade Daniel, by an hour and the youngest, Chris, by two weeks.

4) We lived just outside of Washington DC when the kids were small and saw Smokey Bear at the National Zoo the last year he was alive.

5) The only vegetables I don't like are cauliflower and brussel sprouts. I used to not like beets, but since Betty loves them I've come to like them over the years - especially if they're fresh from the Corrales Growers Market.

6) I married my high school sweetheart, Betty. We met when we were juniors in high school. I had just moved into town and had just been dumped by a cheerleader. It was the best thing that ever happened to me as Betty caught me on the rebound. We married six years later.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Rules:

~Link to the person who tagged you.
~Post the rules on your blog.
~Write six random things about yourself.
~Tag six people at the end of your post and link to them.
~Let each person know they’ve been tagged and leave a comment on their blog.
~Let the tagger know when your entry is up.

Here are the six blogging friends I tag:

Galloping Grace Youth Ranch
(Max)
7MSN Ranch
Trailboss
The Ranch at Salmon Creek (Mark)
My Own Line Scrapbook
Sillescraps by Cindy

Today is November 21 and if today is your Birthday then you share your day with: Ken Griffey, Jr. (pro ball player), Troy Aikman (Dallas Cowboys quarterback), Goldie Hawn (actress, "Laugh-In"), Harold Ramis (actor/director, "Ghostbusters"), Marlo Thomas (actress, "That Girl"), Joseph Campanella (actor, "Days of Our Lives"), Stan Musial (pro baseball player), and Voltaire (author, "Candide").

On this day in 1620 leaders of the Mayflower expedition frame the "Mayflower Compact,"designed to bolster unity among the settlers. In 1783 Jean Francois Pilatre de Rozier and the Marquis Francois Laurant d'Arlandes made the first flight in a balloon, thus becoming the first men to fly. The pair flew nearly six miles around Paris in 25 minutes reaching an altitude of around 300 feet. Ben Franklin was one of the spectators for the big occasion. In 1789 North Carolina became the 12th state to ratify the US Constitution. In 1877 inventor Thomas A. Edison announced the invention of his phonograph. In 1922 Rebecca L. Felton of Georgia was sworn in as the first woman to serve in the US Senate. In 1942 the Alaska highway across Canada was formally opened. In 1944 the "Roy Rogers Show" was first heard on the Mutual Broadcasting System. In 1973 President Nixon's attorney, J. Fred Buzhardt, revealed the existence of an 18-and-a-half-minute gap in one of the White House tape recordings related to Watergate. In 1980 one of the largest TV audience ever - an estimated 82 million people - watched as Sue Ellen's sister, Kristin Shepard shot J.R. Ewing on "Dallas." And in 1995 the Dow Jones industrial average closed above the 5000 mark for the first time.

6 comments:

the7msn said...

My life is an open blog! What's not to know? I'll try to think of 6 things I haven't fessed up yet and spill my guts sometime soon. In the meantime, this post will tell you where the 7MSN got its name:
http://the7msn.blogspot.com/2008/05/my-fairy-taleexcept-its-true-part-4.html

I so enjoy reading your blog, Dan. You and Betty share a rare partnership, and it's refreshing to read about your life together.

The Wades said...

Dan--Michelle here. You stole three of our people to link!! The nerve of you!

Keri said...

Hey Dan~
Your on! But because I have so much to do today (my nails, don't cha know!), I'll probably have it up tomorrow! I will let you know!

My father-in-law LOVES Roy Rogers, too.
Do you miss the ocean being here in the desert?
My dad worked for Smokey Bear (US Forest Service) for over 30 years.

Dan and Betty said...

Linda, thanks for the link on 7MSN - it makes a ton of sense some day. Hopefully, we can come visit you in the future.

Michelle, sorry.

Keri, I loved going to sea, but I hated missing the family. If I had been single I would have made the Navy a career. But, I love living in New Mexico. Cool about your Dad.

Cindy said...

Hey Dan! Thanks for the tag. I posted my random boring drivel on my blog, and enjoyed reading yours (oops, reread that- I didn't mean yours was random boring drivel too!). Thanks for being so great with the kids. Grant really thinks alot of you. You too, Betty. The kids really (you just don't know how much) love the ranch and all you do for them. Awesome!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Hmmpf. That cheerleader had no sense. I'm happy Betty found you, though.
I'm not crazy about brussel sprouts either and I can't stand beets.
I went to a Russian restaurant many years ago in Chicago and they served beets with every course, and they were about 8 courses! I was so relieved and delighted when they brought the little lemon shell of refreshing sorbet between each course. haha

Thanks for participating :)
~Lisa
your Sandia Mountain Friend :)