Sunday, November 16, 2008

Sunday Reflections - The Miracle of the Seeds

Betty and I have a bird feeder in our courtyard - sunflower seeds. It attracts Finches, Sparrows, Mourning Doves, Rock Doves, and Quail. We've fed birds for as long as we have owned houses - since about 1975.

Each evening the bird feeders are empty.

After the birds are gone for the evening and just before it gets dark, I always go out and refill the bird feeders.

The next morning the birds return to full feeders and begin to help themselves again to the tasty seeds.

I sometimes let my mind roam and wonder if the birds ever think about this. They leave in the evening with empty bird feeders and return in the morning and - voila! - the feeders are full of seeds again. In my warped way, I can see the birds going home every night and telling their children, "Don't worry, there's a miracle every night and the feeders are full when we return each morning."

Silly, I know. But, it makes me think of all God does to create little miracles in our life. The sun comes up every day - even if we can't see it behind the clouds. Betty and I have each other for one more day. We have our house to keep us warm. We have food in our pantry and in our refrigerator. We have hot water for showers (big miracle in my mind). We have a great church. We have our horses, dog and cat to enjoy. We have our health for one more day. We have great friends. We're blessed with all of our family - especially our granddaughter, Juliet, and grandson, Javier.

If we're not careful we can take these things for granted, but in reality they're the daily miracles God puts into our lives - just as I put seed into the bird's feeders each night.

(PS: Another miracle is our Covenant Builders marriage seminar yesterday went very well. We had 19 couples attend and they all seemed to get something out of it. We did our best and the rest is up to God. Even though we were worn out, we greatly enjoyed the Gaither Homecoming concert last night.)

Today is November 16 and if today is your Birthday then you share your day with: Oksana Baiul (Olympic ice skater), Lisa Bonet (actress, "The Cosby Show"), Dwight Gooden (professional baseball pitcher), Shigeru Miyamato (game designer for Nintendo), Daws Butler (voice for Yogi Bear and Captain Crunch), and Burgess Meredith (actor, the Penguin in "Batman").

On this day in 1532 the Spanish Conquistador conquered the Incas. In 1621 the Papal Chancery first adopted January 1st as the beginning of the calendar year. Previously, March was the first month. In 1776 British troops captured Fort Washington during the American Revolution. In 1841 Napoleon Guerin of New York City patented the cork life preserver (a jacket containing 18 to 20 quarts of grated cork). In 1864 Union General William T. Sherman and his troops began their "March to the Sea" during the Civil War. In 1907 Oklahoma became the 46th state admitted to the Union. In 1932 the Palace Theater in New York City closed its doors. It was the most famous vaudeville theatre in America. In 1986 Gerber Products announced intentions to produce baby food in plastic jars, instead of glass - a first for the industry. And in 2001 The first Harry Potter movie, Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone is released.

5 comments:

daniel cooksey said...

That's a great reminder to be thankful for the little things. Even the idea that we live in a country where you can drink the water that comes out of your tap is miraculous to people living in other parts of the world. Being selfish and self-centered, I need constant reminders of God's goodness to my family and me.

TjandMark said...

I hear you on being thankful for hot water and the other stuff too. Daily I have to remind myself to open my eyes and my heart in thanks.
Tj

The Wades said...

I'm thankful for you and Betty! :) Happy post, sweet people. It's great to hear your retreat went so well. I bet Gerome is so happy you moved to NM!!! :)

The Wades said...

I just reread this--I often wonder what animals think myself.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

I'm glad to hear that the marriage seminar counseling went so well.

What a clever and fun reminder about our daily miracles, and how not to take them for granted. So true. :)

I used to feed the birds, but there are far too many stray cats around here that seem to believe I've set the bird station up as their free bird buffet. Seeing piles of feathers every day was making me too sad....

~Lisa