Sunday, November 23, 2008

Sunday Reflections - Rest

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." (Matt 11:28-30)

One thing I have learned from our horses is how to rest. God has made horses in such a way that they always conserve their energy. If they need to work and go, they will. But, if they don't see a reason to expend energy they will do as little as possible. I believe this is inherent in their awareness that their lives may depend on being able to get away from a predator at a moment's notice and they'll need all their energy then.

The one exception is foals - young horses. Like most youngsters they love to play until they drop and drop they will. They'll run and buck and kick and then plop to the ground for a quick snooze.

I wish God had given us the ability to know when to rest. I've found over the years that I let obligations and things into my life that steal my energy and, before I know it, I'm worn out. Even in my supposedly adult years I would be like those young foals and go and go until I would finally drop.

In my 'golden' years I've finally learned the value and importance of rest. Now I will take every opportunity to stop and just relax. I'll read a book, watch a movie on TV, or just enjoy the sun setting on the mountain.

I realize now, as my strength and energy are dwindling due to age, that it's wisdom to save my energy for the truly important things in life - loving Betty and my family, giving to others, riding our horses, being with my God.

I pray you can find the rest you need in your life.

Today is November 23 and if today is your Birthday then you share your day with: Jerome Wade (our friend and pastor of our church), Miley Cyrus (Hannah Montana), Johnny Mandel (composer, theme from "M.A.S.H."), Harpo Marx (silent brother of the Marx Brothers), Boris Karloff (actor, "Frankenstein"), William Bonney ("Billy the Kid"), and Franklin Pierce (14th US President).

On this day in 1785 John Hancock was elected President of the Continental Congress for the second time. In 1863 the patent was granted for a process of making color photographs. In 1889 the first jukebox made its debut in San Francisco, at the Palais Royale Saloon. The contraption consisted of an Edison tinfoil phonograph with four listening tubes and a coin slot for each tube. In 1936 "Life Magazine" was first published. It was an immediate sellout. The cover of that famous magazine showed an obstetrician slapping a baby and the caption read, "LIFE begins." In 1958 Ronald and Nancy Reagan appeared together in the "GE Theatre" production of "A Turkey for the President." And, in 1968 a young Dan Cooksey reported to Naval Officers Candidate School in Newport, RI to start his career in the US Navy.

4 comments:

TjandMark said...

Today I was watching our cows and thinking of taking a week next summer living with them to learn their rhythms and I thought about how bored I might get sitting in the sun for hours chewing my cud. Tj

The Wades said...

Pray real hard for us this week! I'm not feeling very rested at all! I know everything that needs to be done will get done, but I feel like I'll never make it! Because of you, I'll take a deep breath and relax for a minute.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

What a very important reminder. I wonder if that is one reason why we humans get sick? Is it one small way for God to remind us to slow down?

The photos of your horses made me feel more peaceful. The last one made me smile and think of taking a nap.

Thank you, Dan.

(ps, I'm going to e-mail you my phone #, in case you and Betty want to stop by after your visit with Lorie and King tomorrow. I only live about 10 minutes from her)

Ice Pony Girl said...

Love your Icelandic Horses!! They are so darn cute. My Ice Pony is Huginn, a 14 yr old imported gelding. We love to trail ride and horse camp. Come visit our blog some time, it's Ice Pony Trekking.

Happy Tolting!