Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Windy Wednesday

If you live in New Mexico you know we are experiencing a very windy Wednesday. It was overcast this morning, but the sun has come out this afternoon as I write this. But, the wind is still blowing pretty hard with some fairly extreme gusts.

This is a picture that normally has a mountain in it, but it has been obscured by the dust.

Now, I know by now, our good friend, Michelle, is probably thinking how much I'm enjoying this windy day - and I am. I like weather extremes - as long as I don't have to be out in them.

But, someone else enjoyed this day. I saw something go flashing past our kitchen window and realized it was Morgunn and Gletta running in the wind.

Here are some more pictures of them enjoying the windy morning by running around and around their stable.

Then, after running around their stable, they decided to run into their stalls.

And then they would run back out.

Finally, even though the wind hadn't died down, they finally ran out of steam and they died down.


So, yes Michelle, a windy day can be a fun day - especially if you're a horse.

Today is November 5 and if today is your Birthday then you share your day with: Kevin Jonas (lead guitarist for "The Jonas Brothers"), Javy Lopez (Atlanta Braves catcher), Tatun O'Neal (Best Supporting Actress at age 10 for "Paper Moon" - now, sadly a druggie), Peter Noone (singer, "Herman's Hermits"), Sam Shephard (actor, "The Right Stuff"), Art Garfunkle (singer, "Simon and Garfunkle"), Elke Sommer (actress, "Pink Panther"), Vivian Leigh (actress, Scarlett O'Hara in "Gone With the Wind"), and Roy Rogers (King of the Cowboys and my boyhood hero).

On this day in 1872 Susan B. Anthony was fined $100 for trying to vote. in 1895 George B. Selden received the first patent for an automobile. In 1912 Woodrow Wilson was elected President. In 1940 Franklin D. Roosevelt was elected to an unprecedented third Presidential term. In 1994 former President Ronald Reagan revealed he had alzheimer's disease. And, in 1994 George Forman became the oldest heavyweight champion at age 45 and immediately invented the George Forman grill (just kidding about that last part).

3 comments:

Trailboss said...

Today was a fun day to be an American!

Love the pics. Looks like they had a great time!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

And that invisible mountain is where we live! lol!
We got hail, sleet and a bit of snow up here this morning...and huge gusts of wind, too.

I love those pictures of Gletta and Morgunn. They look the way I imagine wild Icelandic horses to be in their Native homeland.

They're really growing in their fuzzy winter coats, aren't they. :)

Thanks for sharing them. I always enjoy seeing photos of your horses.

~Lisa

The Wades said...

duly noted, wise one!

i think that's precious seeing your horses enjoy the wind.

all three of you should be enjoying today even more!!