Friday, January 7, 2011

When Help Is Needed

As Betty and I were planning for all that needed to be covered during my recovery, the horses were the biggest concern.  Besides the feeding there is the daily cleanup and two horses can produce a lot of manure in 24 hours.  In normal times, I do most of the clean up and usually do it at least 2 or 3 times a day.

Fortunately, God brought a couple of kids into our lives a few months ago.  Evan and Maritsa who live down the street from us have chickens.  One day they showed up at our door and asked if we wanted to buy some eggs which we did.  While we were conducting our egg transaction they asked if they could see the horses.

So we took them outside and they were able to meet Morgunn and Sugar.  They indicated that they would like to learn more about horses.

When Betty began thinking how to handle the manure she had the great idea of asking Evan and Maritsa to help her once a day after they came home from school.  Before my surgery Betty met with their mother, Eva, to be sure she would be OK with the idea as it would be a daily commitment for at least a month.  Eva was excited about it so Betty talked with the kids and they seemed excited too.

Eva, Evan and Maritsa came up to our house the day before my surgery so they could see first-hand what they were getting themselves into.  During my surgery when Betty was gone we had our friend and horse-sitter Connie take care of the horses.

The day after I came home from the hospital Evan and Maritsa started their job and have dutifully shown up ever day right after school.  Betty feeds the horses while they get started on the manure and then she will join them to help finish up.  However, they are doing a great job and carrying their share of the work.

Here are some photos from the other day showing Evan and Maritsa hard at work.

alt
alt
alt
alt

After I’m 100% again we have told them that they can come down once a week, probably Saturday mornings, and Betty and I will teach them how to handle and ride horses.  They definitely seemed excited about that.

Nice kids.

4 comments:

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Wow. Sounds like a perfect situation for all involved. It's probably so wonderful knowing the manure situation is under control while you're healing.
You and Betty are so blessed. We had no help at all with the animals, after my ACL surgery and it took me several months to clean up the chicken coop, barn, stalls and paddocks when I was finally able to walk again and was strong enough, almost a year later.
Of course, I was just so grateful that my hubby and kidlets fed and watered all the animals while I was laid up all those months, as well taking care of me full time.

~Lisa

Anonymous said...

The kids will never forget the experience..and knowing the two of you, they have been lifted by your expressions of appreciation and encouragement..

TjandMark said...

That made me cry. What a wonderful thing having the kids help you out.

I am amazed though that you clean up the poop 2 or 3 times a day and I will have to remember to clean up things before you come for your visit in 2012. LOL. I clean up my barn only about 2 or 3 times a year. LOL. Well, maybe a little more frequently, but still, you get the picture. Of course, my animals free range and only come in for bites to eat.

The Wades said...

I'm glad you have them. I keep meaning to call and see if I could go grocery shopping for you or anything else. Our life is slowly getting back to normal. I almost called you the other day, but my hubby started in on his nerve pain again. Always something with that guy! ;) Please, let me know if I can run any errands. I would love to help you.