Thursday, January 6, 2011

World’s Largest Cave

In our younger days, Betty and I used to be spelunkers, we would explore caves.  We got started as it was something our Boy Scout Troop liked to do.  The caves we explored were smaller, wild caves on private property where we had permission to enter.  Even though they were smaller we still saw some spectacular things.
The world’s largest cave, the Hang Son Doon, is found in Vietnam.  Because of several areas where the ceiling has collapsed there are jungle growths in the cave because the sun has access.
500x_cave3
If you want to see more pictures of this stunning cave check out this National Geographic site:
http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2011/01/largest-cave/peter-photography

6 comments:

Mark's Space said...

Spectacular photos from National Geographic; for landscape photography they set the standard. A great link.

TjandMark said...

Hiking in a cave is exciting. I assume that leading multiple scouts through one must be QUITE an adventure... tell us more! mark

Fantastyk Voyager said...

That is amazing!!! I am fascinated with caves but I think they're scary too.

Wayne Cantrell said...

Hey Mr. Cooksey, I was one of those scouts. Do you remember me? Those were good times. I have a few photos of our troop. Most are from my parents farm when we cut wood to sell for the trip to DC. I have the black and white photo of us sitting on the capital steps. Also a few photos from when we did the tours. Not sure if you remember Mr. Needham. Frank's dad. Me and my parents keep in touch with him. He is in TN. We live in GA. Hope you get this. Its been a long time.

The Wades said...

You were spelunkers?! That's so cool. . . and scary! I always marvel at the brave souls who scouted out Carlsbad Caverns. I could not imagine being first in that vastness.

Did you know we have several caves at the Wade Ranch all ready for you to relieve your younger days? Yep, lots of caves out there. Max has gone in a couple. I'm also relieved when he makes it back alive. :)

TjandMark said...

Ok, Dan... it's up to you to organize an expedition! mark