Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Horse Snot Fun

I just got home from a neat time.  Max at Galloping Grace Youth Ranch set up a demonstration at the vet who works on the ranch horses.  The ranch has a great group of junior volunteers and this was set up for them. There were a total of about 40 adults and kids – mostly kids.

I won’t go into too many details because I know that Michelle, who took a ton of pictures, will have a good post about the goings on.

There was a great demo horse named Lacey who was very patient with all the kids who wanted to pet her.  She also endured an endoscopy (I can relate and sympathize), had her temperature taken numerous times by the kids, had her teeth floated and had her tear ducts flushed out.

She was able to get back by snorting some horse snot on the kids.  There were a lot of ‘ewwwwws’ but they really enjoyed it.

The kids also learned about some real horse facts of life – euthanasia and the difference between a stallion and a gelding.

I’ll leave the rest to Michelle as she’ll have some pictures and, I’m sure, some pithy comments.

Check out her blog at:  http://ggyr.org

2 comments:

TjandMark said...

you whetted my appetite for Michelle's post

Lynn said...

Sounds like a great program that also got in some truly substantive issues. You can't get much more serious than euthanasia and castration. My husband could never stick around once the emasculators came out of the vet's truck.
And, horses love to slime you!