Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Lefty Converse Horse Show

On Sunday, after a long day on Saturday with the Galloping Grace Youth Ranch Dinner and Auction, I was the ‘official’ photographer for the Lefty Converse Horse Show in Corrales, New Mexico.

We have two horse shows in Corrales, the Ditch Pony in May which is for kids up to 18 years old and the Lefty Converse in August which is for riders of all ages with one twist.  Some of the classes are designed for horses that are 15 years old or older.  It’s a chance for hobby riders with older horses to have a chance to compete in a judged horse show to see how they do.

It started with a costume class followed by a stick pony class.  Then there was a lead line class followed by a ‘moldy oldie’ lead line where the kids lead an adult.  After that the rest of the day was in English and Western classes – pleasure, equitation, etc.

You will see some alpacas and a couple of horses with cards about votes.  Corrales is having a pet mayor election that runs into early September.  There are two horses, the alpacas, a chicken, a goat, a donkey, a couple of dogs and I believe a cat.  You vote by paying a dollar to your respective candidate.  The funds go to support the Corrales Harvest Festival the last week of September.

Here’s a short overview video of the day.

3 comments:

TjandMark said...

That was fun. I loved all of the different sizes and types of horses.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Awwwwdorable! Those kids are precious. And the horses in costume were great!
So, I just have to know who you're voting on for pet mayor?

I bet you can guess that I'd vote for the chicken. hehe!

~Lisa

Fantastyk Voyager said...

Awesome photos, Dan! Looks like a lot of fun.