Thursday, August 18, 2011

Life Imitates Art

I’m a Trekkie – I’ll be the first to admit it.  It started with my love for the classic 1950’s science fiction novels.  Then Star Trek came out.  Star Wars was a quantum leap.  I enjoyed all of the Star Trek movies – especially the even numbered ones.

In Star Trek Generations Captains Kirk and Picard join forces to defeat the villain from engaging with a mysterious energy ribbon.

If you know what I’m talking about then the sunset on my birthday Tuesday reminded me of the energy ribbon.

Sunsets-1
Sunsets-2
Sunsets-3

I know, I’m weird.

6 comments:

TjandMark said...

Those are fantastic photo. Wowsers. God's gift to you on your birthday.

Anonymous said...

Hi Dan and Betty - just read your comment about the elderly gentleman who's shop was wrecked during the riots here in the UK. Thank you for your lovely remarks - this country is far greater than those few idiots!
Chris

Fantastyk Voyager said...

Those are some fantastically beautiful skies!

Michelle said...

Blow those up and put them on your wall! Your photography is just getting better and better! Man.

lytha said...

Soran isn't interested in a weapon, he's interested in getting back to the Nexus. - Guinan.

This is so odd cuz just this week I read about one of my fave movies of all times, Generations.

I work with a guy from the Netherlands named Soren, I just met him this week and we've been working together, even tonight. I had to ask, "Are you a Trekkie?" But sadly he isn't: (

Time is the fire in which we all burn. -Soran.

Man I love that movie!

Did you know Shatner rode one of his own horses in that movie? If only Patrick Stewart had an Arabian again like the episode Pen Pals. Oh, my, I just about died!

lytha said...

Oh, and your photo looks exactly like the Nexus. Of course I know it well!!

Time has no meaning there.

And at my new job I'm trying all sorts of new beverages that they provide, and some are quite disgusting. There is a sparkling rhubarb soda (actually good) and an Herbal soda that tastes like watered down Jagermeister. I'm trying to try all the beverages so I can learn what is out there in Germany. I scowled at this one and thought of Data this week:

[Data finds a drink unpleasant - for the first time ever]
Data: I hate this! It is revolting!
Guinan: More?
Data: Please!

***

Picard: This is not your bedroom.
Kirk: No, it's not. It's better. (It's the horse stable!)

***
Picard: Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived. After all Number One, we're only mortal.
Riker: Speak for yourself sir, I plan to live forever.
***