Saturday, March 10, 2012

Book Reviews

One of the things I like to do is read. Even though I can read fairly quickly, it takes me a while to get through a book because of other interests and other things I like to read (Western Horsemanship magazine, various blogs, etc.).

However, I recently finished two books that I want to commend.

The first is "Amazing Grays Amazing Grace" by Lynn Baber. Lynn has become a blogging friend and is both an accomplished horse trainer as well as published author. This book tells how God used her relationship with her horses to help her better understand her relationship with Him.

This book helped me learn some more on how best to relate to our horses and helped me reflect on my personal relationship with God.

The book is an easy read, but it has a depth in both horsemanship and spirituality that makes it well worth your time. I'm looking forward to reading Lynn's next book, "He Came Looking for Me." You can learn more about Lynn at her website: http://lynnbaber.net/

 

The second book I just finished is "Unbroken" by Laura Hillenbrand. If her name sounds familiar that's because she is also the author of "Seabiscuit." "Unbroken", as the book cover says, is 'A World War II story of survival, resilience and redemption.'

It's the story of a man who came out of a tough growing up environment to become an Olympic contender in the 1936 Berlin Olympics. It follows him through his experiences in the Air Force during the War including surviving a long time after being shot down over the Pacific Ocean and then years as a Japanese prisoner of war.

It's a tough read because of the incredible and terrible things that happened to him. But what makes it a worthwhile read is how the grace of God ultimately redeemed him and changed his life.

So, if you're looking for a good read I highly recommend either or both of these books.

Good reading.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope they are available to review on Monday!!

TjandMark said...

I almost downloaded Unbroken last night. Now I will! Thanks.

Michelle said...

I'm so glad you let me know what it was Laura H. also wrote. I read her name and was wondering.

Thanks for the recommendations. I just got a new Kindle. I'll see if I can get either on there.