We found out in Sunday's paper that we're going to have a full solar eclipse on Sunday, May 20. In fact, the article stated that Albuquerque would have the best view of all.
In 1970 when I was in the Navy, stationed in Charleston, SC, we saw a full solar eclipse and it was just like the picture to the left - pretty spectacular. That's called the 'diamond ring' for obvious reasons.
Back then I was able to use welding glass to watch the eclipse as it was readily available on the ship. You definitely don't want to look at it straight on. It can damage your eyes.
One thing you can do, which we've already done, is order some special sunglasses made for watching solar eclipses - regular sunglasses won't provide enough protection. They're only $0.95 a piece. If you're interested, here's the web site where we ordered ours:
http://telescopes.net/store/awb-solar-eclipse-shades.html
They look like the 3-D glasses we used back in the old days when 3-D first came out.

6 comments:
Oooh! Thanks for that link! I'll be ordering some of those glasses as I'm planning to be on horseback down in San Acacia for an ACTHA CTR when the Solar Eclipse reveals itself. Exciting stuff!!
~Lisa
ps....your new header is great!
I've seen only one in my life-I still have the welding glass I used then..
Reminds me a story within Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's court,, and maybe what happened on Good Friday.
I like the new picture on top of your page. Sweet.
And thanks for the info on the glasses..... I will have to get the whole family some. Happy Eclipse Sighting (in several weeks)!
Sweet!
Post a Comment