Sunday, December 16, 2012

Sunday Reflection - The Trip to Bethlehem

Both of our sons were born while I was in the Navy and I was gone both times while Betty was pregnant and giving birth. The first time for Wade's birth I was in Officer Candidate School in Newport, RI and then on my ship.

For Chris, I was on my ship off North Vietnam.

Missing both of their births is one of the few regrets I have in my life.

It's amazing to me how God works. Jesus needed to be born in Bethlehem so prophecy would be fulfilled. Caesar Augustus became God's tool to fulfill that prophecy. He ordered a census of all Israel that required people to be recorded in the place of their birth. Since Joseph was born in Bethlehem he, Mary and the unborn Jesus had to travel from Nazareth to Bethlehem for the census and Jesus would be born there.

I love the picture above. It's a tender scene of a very pregnant Mary led by a loving husband. Mary had a virgin birth, but since Jesus was to be fully human there's no doubt Mary had a very human pregnancy. I don't doubt that she had morning sickness and all the trials that women endure to bring a child into the world.

The picture is also prophetic as they pass a young shepherd herding his flock. Jesus would become the good shepherd and the sacrificial lamb of God.

As we approach the celebration of Jesus' birth, Betty and I hope you experience he coming of Jesus in your own lives.

 

No comments: