Friday, we left Seaside and drove up to Greenville, Alabama which is South of Montgomery. Margie, Betty and I met their brother Bill and we had dinner at Ruby Tuesday's. Our youngest son Chris came in about 9:30 PM that night. We all stayed at the Comfort Inn.
On Saturday, Betty, Margie and I rode with Chris over to the farm house where Betty's father grew up. It's located in the little town of Carlowville, Alabama, South of Selma. The house was built in 1839 and has been in her family ever since. Her cousin Bob and his wife Jane live in the house now and they have made many great improvements to the house while maintaining it's old charm feel.
Besides Bob and Jane, Betty and I and Margie and Bill, Bob's son and daughter and their families were there. Another of Betty's cousins, Ted and his wife Debbie, their daughter and grandson, were also there. Later in the day, Betty's younger brother Jim and his wife Melissa came over from Atlanta.
Here are some pictures - actually a lot of pictures...
Our first stop on our drive to the home place was St. Paul's Episcopal Church where all the Wade family has attended for almost 175 years. The church was built in 1838, the year before the Wade house was built. Most of Betty's ancestors, including her Mom and Dad are buried there.
Then we drove over to the Wade place for the reunion. Here's the drive into the place. The trees are pecan trees which still produce.
This is Mollie, a King Charles Spaniel who belonged to Bob's son, Rob, and his wife, Sarah. She is the cutest and sweetest dog. She's sitting in my lap. Later, she came and slept in my arms. Great dog!
Sunday morning Betty, Margie, Bill, Jim, Melissa and I all had breakfast together at the Comfort Inn. After a nice, long visit we all headed our separate ways - Bill back to Santa Rosa, Florida, Jim and Melissa back to Atlanta, Georgia and Betty, Margie and I back to Nita's house in Franklin, Tennessee.
We arrived at Nita's about 3:30 PM. It was a great week, but a tiring one. It will be a nice, restful day tomorrow - looking forward to it.























4 comments:
What a great trip ... and lovely photos as usual.
I've been at the Convent for 2 nights and before that doing tech stuff until I thought my head would burst! Glad you got to attend all the reunion events in all the places.
What a beautiful "homestead" ..the sunset was awesome..
What a beautiful home. Love the butterfly photo.
I second bobbyd's comment--a truly beautiful place.
Post a Comment