Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Feel the Burn

Tumbleweeds! The bane of the Southwest and it's not even a native plant. It came from Russia. Once the tumbleweed dies in the Winter, it dries up and, because of its shallow root, comes loose from the ground in the first good wind which is pretty often around here.

So, each Winter I start collecting dried Tumbleweeds and other plant trash into a pile behind our horse trailer. It's out of sight of our neighbors and the trailer blocks the wind to keep it from blowing around.

In the summer, we wait for a 'burn day' when it's safe and legal to burn and we sacrifice all this dried refuse to the fire gods (just kidding, there's only one God).

Here are pictures from this years 'burn.'

Tossing another pile onto the fire. We have to keep the fire size small or the fire department will not be happy.

The fire pit with Morgunn and Sugar looking on.

Close up. The pit is about 4 feet long by 2 1/2 feet wide and about 2 feet deep. This keeps any burning pieces from blowing away and, when I'm done, I can cover it up with clean dirt so you don't know we ever burned in that spot.

Morgunn and Sugar were curious for awhile. Eventually Sugar was bored and left.

Yours truly watching the fire. We keep a shovel, rake and charged hose close at hand just in case.


It's a small fire, but it is really hot.

5 comments:

Trailboss said...

What in the world is a charged hose?

Dan and Betty said...

TB, a charged hose is one with the water turned on. We have a sprinkler attachment at the end that we can turn on or off, but the fire department requires that water be immediately available.

The Wades said...

Never a dull moment with you two! You sure manage to stay busy.

Trailboss said...

I see Dan. We have charged hoses all of the time around my place but I never knew it!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Burn tumbleweeds burn!!! I sure don't miss those horrible goat heads they produce. When we lived in Rio Rancho they took over and were a never ending battle to fight.

Funny how unimpressed the horses were, too.
Questions about your shade cover: Do you keep it up all year? How does it stand up to the NM winds? How is it staked in the ground? Is it permanently set-up?

Your horses do seem to appreciate it.
Baby Doll has a few tall shade trees to stand under in her paddock, but our goats, sheep and llamas are going to be moved to a treeless section of their paddock in the future (they are eating the trees. gah!) and we want to keep the main barn for horses, too. I've been thinking of shelter options, in addition to the barn we'll build them.
I wonder if I'd have to take the cover down during the winter because of the heavy snow loads we can get up here?

~Lisa